Sight Bobs & Egg Flies

• Thread starter Ron Troversial Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron Troversial Clay

I read an article in a "Fly Fishing" magazine about the use of Sight Bobs - some call them bungs; and egg flies.

Some people actually dip the egg flies in carp flavours such as monster crab!!!

Now call me a silly old fart but this in not fly fishing peoples!!

It is a form of angling that is sailing very close to the wind indeed.

Next you will see "fly fishermen" chucking out their egg flies down wind, putting their TWO rods in a pod and swiching on an electronic bite alarm. And for heavens sake, some day we will see them sleeping in a bivvy on the banks of Rutland. It got so bad some years ago that some "anglers" were actually doing something similar on the dam wall at Grafham.

And they were asleep!!

Why is it that some so called "anglers" want to equate all fishing to going asleep, after drinking copious quantites of lager and gut wrenching amounts of vindaloo, with a screaming din to wake them up?

Over to you Monk.

I

Ian Whittaker

Boiled egg flies Ron? To deter "nuisance" small fish ?

R

Ross Turner

I fish buzzers under an indicator.But the indicator in my case is a CDC or Hopper pattern & just let the drift take them round.
As most people will know the best retrive for buzzers is none at all.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
If it's flat calm I'll just grease the line up to where I want it to sink and watch that, but when it's rippled or worse I'll use a bouyant fly to hold the buzzer at the right depth.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Nothing wrong with that mate. You might get a fish to the floater as well.

K

Keith Hacking

I do the same with a floating fry pattern on the top dropper,and buzzers underneath, had some good brownies that way,on the fry pattern.

senan ensko

Reaction score
The December issue of a certain trout fishing magazine has a feature, "We test the best sight indicators" or some such nonsense. Anyway, according to the mag, during the test one of the anglers involved hooked into a fish. After a longish fight he landed the fish...with another fly in its mouth....connected to a leader...connected to a fly line...connected to a rod & reel. Apparently, some geezer had been boat fishing, cast out, decided to have a sleep. Fish took the fly and pulled the whole lot in! What the hell is that all about?
SE

J

jason fisher

if you made your egg flies out of a paste made from various powders and held together with egg you could add whtever flavours you liked hows about caddis fly and shrimp, you could them roll the paste into little balls and boil it to make it last longer.

Colin Brett

Reaction score
I suppose you could call them Boilies then?? You ought to patent that idea and the name.

Colin

J

jason fisher

that's a good name colin never thought of calling em that

R

Ross Turner

Jason,Colin is winding you up.If you what to use floating baits all you have to do is tie some deer hair to a hook & spin it then clip the hair in to a ball shape(make sure the deer hair is packed tight).It would or should lok like a piece of chum mixer ideal for carp or use white deer hair as for floating bread.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

That fly was known as Pelletus vulgaris in the old days.

J

jason fisher

what has surprised me is ron didn't comment, i thought the idea of using boilies would wind him up.
he's getting too resistant to my wind up's i must try harder.

R

Richard Baker

I regularly use buzzers under some form of strike indicator, be it a large bushy dry fly, or a self' tied piece of foam whipped and varnished to a size 12 fly hook. In my opinion this has to be one of the best ways to present buzzers at the correct depth, the right way up and keeping them fairly static for the amount of time required. Indication is also instant. However buzzers is really the only situation I use an indicator. As for flavoured egg flies Ron I've no objection to people doing this as long as they don't do it on fly only waters. Fly rodding for many species using a fly rod and say cork balls (feeding floaters) for carp, or a fly rod with tiny spinners for perch is hugely enjoyable and something I do a lot of, but I wouldn't call it fly fishing, I'd call it Fly rodding.