Barbel Kills Angler

Graham South

Reaction score
Is our fantastic sport now in danger of being banned?

After all, the Government banned hand guns and dangerous dogs with ill thought out legislation, is the Barbel next on the list? God help us when someone gets beaten to death with a cricket bat, will they ban cricket bats as well?

Not realy wanting to make make light of the situation, I'm sure our hearts go out to the family of our fellow angler.
We are all thinking of them at this time.

M

michael rouse

how the hell does a fish pull someone into the water?

A

alan outen

sad to hear, but its one of the reasons i wont fish alone.

S

Steve King

The main reason for this tragic event is not really the barbel I suspect, but a slippery bank and probably boots or shoes without sufficient grip.

All anglers need to take care particularly at this time of year and especially on rivers; the bank may be treacherous, there could be a strong current and your boots may impede you swimming to safety. In the case of someone with heart problems the shock of plunging into freezing water could even trigger a heart attack.

Taking a mate or two along is not a bad idea, however think about how many times you hear of someone drowning trying to save another's life? he message is DON'T TAKE RISKS.

J

John Pleasance

What really saddens me, is to see the sensationalist headline on here,I thought the Telegraph had gone tabloid enough on Saturday but "Barbel Kills Angler" is even worse.

The barbel obviously had very little to do with events other than to be the trigger for them all.A new tripod being used for the first time fell over as the fish took the bait,the rod went in and the angler slipped and fell in trying to grab it.

He then became entangled in the line of the second rod. His companion was never going to be able to help much as he was 82 and only walked with the aid of crutches.

Come on Graham,we deserve better.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
River banks, especially when they are wet, have, and always will be, very dangerous places. The risk is increased when you get older because you're not as agile and as adept at regaining your footing when you slip. The very nature of a river bank means you have to go down to get to the water thereby increasing the risk of a slip. I can only imagine how his family must feel and they have my deepest sympathy.

I daresay we could all relate stories of people, maybe ourselves, falling in somewhere, this brings home the reality of the danger we voluntarily put ourselves in when we go fishing and I for one wouldn't have it any different

A

albert watkinson

what a tragic scene and his mate must be
in deep shock.at our age we have to be more careful than ever.i feel for the family.
albert

A

Andy Nellist

It was a tradgedy but nothing really to do with the 3 1/2 lb barbel. Sadly I believe that his friend has since died too.

J

John McLaren

It just shows that river banks are to be treated with care and that wherever necessary a lifesaving aid should be worn, having said that the report does emphasis that the circumstances arose in what amounts to a million to one chance.

On a lighter note - it is interesting that even in these tragic circumstances someone was actually sufficiently interested to estimate the fish's weight - I think the old man would have liked that!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Although there are no inaccuracies in the news report (going on the information available at the time) I do apologise to those of you who were offended by the tabloid-type headline.

J

jason fisher

I feel sorry for the mans family, but as far as i am concerned it's not far from the perfect way to go.
i've already said to my wife that when i die i want to be found waders sticking out of a river floating down stream with a great big fish on my line.
she can then have me cremated and scatter my ashes into the trent.