Festive fishing

P

Paul Christie

Who ventures out over xmas and what the most crazy thing you?ve done or know of?

I normally fish every Xmas eve and New Years Eve. Yet, about half a dozen local match anglers fish a knock up match every xmas day from 10am till 2pm on one of lodges in Bury! God knows how they swing that one with the family?

Perhaps someone has night fished and come home for the turkey dinner???

C

Cakey

Im doing Xmas day morning this year (wifes a nurse and got to work)

D

Dave Slater

I always fish Xmas day morning. It is fabulous and I have the river to myself. I have caught some good chub on these sesions. I spend the rest of Xmas day and all of Boxing day at home. I do not like fishing on Boxing day as everybody seems to be out. I try to get out a couple of times during the period, depending on which days I am working and which days we are doing somthing at home. I try to fish on New Year's eve, if only for a few hours, as I seem to do very well on that day for some reason. I caught my biggest roach on New Year's eve 2000.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

For many years since I've lived back in England I have fished Boxing Day, mainly for pike.

And of course I always get the week off beween Christmas and New Year. Weather permitting I fish for roach and chub.

In the Southern Hemisphere, Boxing day, or Family Day as it was called there meant sea fishing as I spent a lot of my Christmasses at the coast.

T

The Monk

I always used to fish boxing day for carp
(well by then I was fed up with the turkey)

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
Always used to be at the football but I will be on the beach this xmas day for a couple of hours with the dog and rod hoping for a couple of snapper for the BBQ

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Carp on the barbie v Snapper on the barbie.

My Polish mate reckons that carp taste better. And there are a darned sight more of them around.

D

Dave Rothery

thats cos the poles like their wodka a bit too much. most carp taste of fishmeal.....

B

Budgie Burgess

Same as Ron,I always go piking on Boxing day morning.

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
I use the carp as bait for the snapper or if im out on the boat i use rudd they are the best snapper bait ive ever used.

A mate of mine has a large freshwater tank in his garden that he puts any freshwater fish in intended for the table a week in clean filtered water removes the soily taste.....

J

jason fisher

i always go piking one day between christmas and new year, but i have to spend most of that week travelling to see parents.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Any mention of possibly going out on Christmas day/Boxing day would meet with a reception as frosty as the likely weather, but I'll be out next saturday & hopefully on the first weekend of the new year.You guys must have understanding other halves?

J

john conway

If Christmas Eve is a working day, then our company lets everyone go home at dinnertime. I generally take my gear to work then go for a spot of fishing in the afternoon/early evening. Our lass hasn’t said anything yet but I suppose there’s always a first time. I’m also off between Christmas and New Year and our lass isn’t, so I can see a bit more fishing over the break coming on!

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Everyone takes it for granted that people have family to spend Xmas with ----in a lot of cases this isn't so

R

Ron Troversial Clay

That's right Eddie. Today I have very little family left except for my Dad and my Brother. On my late wife's side they are all dead except for a few that went to OZ in 1989.

I always spend Christmas day with my Dad and we have a good talk about the old days. I look forward to it.

My son Sean is bound for Ireland and after that Oz and NZ, returning via SA to London to carry on making bloody big bucks.

At the age of 27 he has no plans yet of settling down. He phoned me today to say that there are only two things of importance in his life at the moment.

Money and his girlfriend.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I dont have anyone Ron .....a few far flung neices and nephews (2 of each)and thats it

I'll be having Xmas dinner with my next door neighbour of 60 years and her daughter and children .....

How old is your Dad ??? --I lost my Mum 2 years ago aged 92 ...

R

Ron Troversial Clay

My Dad is 87. Served in the North African desert under Monty - RASC.

Heyup lad, I have the week between Christmas and New Year Off. Maybe we could get together during that time.

Maybe you know of a place near to Liverpool where I could spend a night? Where they wouldn't take me hubcaps or worse still me car.

And we could look up a couple of old mates including The Monk.

We could have a bloody good laugh.

PTnymph

Reaction score
I definite WILL spend most of my time going out fishing over the Christmas Period even My mum won't like it.