ireland

T

tim battman

hi, i'am thinking of going to ireland in mid-late may as this is the only time ican get off work a would like any recomendations of good places to go and places to stay thanks

S

Simon Hume-Spry

hi tim i was asking the same question myself this year . i ended up in the killyshandra area this year witch is part of the lough oughter area its a bit of a drive from dublin.driveto killyshandra and you cannot move for water town lake is probaly the most popular one in that area but i l like to drive out in to the country a bit and find a lake . angling times and anglers mail are doing articles on varios places to fish in ireland .and i must add it was the best fishing trip ever my feet havent stopped itching since ive been back i carnt wait to get back in the spring

senan ensko

Reaction score
Hello Tim,
Look at www.shannon-fishery-board.com
This site deals only with the River Shannon catchment area, which covers a lot of the midlands and mid-west, but it is very comprehensive and has archived weekly reports. Go to Regional Angling guides for a breakdown of areas and venues. You can e-mail them with specific queries if you need more info. Has an accomadation finder service etc.
Also if you go to www.cfb.ie there are links to the other Fisheries boards. Their web-sites are more basic but you should be able to get information brochures from them if you e-mail them.
SE

T

tim battman

thanks will give it a try and have also look atlough oughter area

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Tim, May isn't the ideal time of year for Ireland as fish are shoaling up ready for spawning so you need info on where these spawning places are. Get it right and you will bag up, get it wrong and you can blank very easily, so a bit of research is necessary. Mind you the guinness is always good so you won't have a problem there

P

Paul Christie

Much of the Erne system around Cavan & Gowna, consists mainly of roach and Hybrids these days, since a disease had a big affect on the bream a few years ago (although they are starting to come back, I beleive).
For the past 4 years, we have fished the L/Derg area in C.Clare and the bream fishing on Derg itself has been excellent.
On the Shannon fisheries site, there are contacts that will advise you based on the time of year you are fishing. TJ Obrien covers the bottom end of Derg and also runs a service where he will drop you on an inaccessable shoreline using his boat and he'll put you on fish. I know they take big catches in Scariff bay and up the Scariff river during May and early June.

T

tim battman

thanks for all the info, unfortunatley May is the only time i can get cover for work i'm a chef and my mate is a baker. Summer is a really busy time for us so we want to get it right for a trip to Ireland