Plastic bait Good or bad ?

B

Bill Cox

I would say the advent of plastic baits has been the biggest advance since the Hair rig.I have lost count of the number of good carp i have caught this year on plastic corn ?1.95 for ten pieces and i'm still using the same three pieces at the end of the year ,now thats value for money.

B

Budgie Burgess

I think its great Bill.Saves all that mucking about making your own pop up corn and nuts etc.Fair price to.Carp swallowing loads of it and dying? utter rubbish! Another classic bit of Carp Angling folklore/bollocks!!

C

Carp Angler

and so easy to flavour up too, the plastic baits that is, not the bollocks.

D

Dave Rothery

pvc probably.

solar popup foam takes the flavour better......

B

Bill Cox

You can buy several different flavours lads as i,m sure you already know. I use tutti frutti usually myself,am i to take it you dont approve Monk ? I suppose your still driving around in that square wheeled cart on principle that round wheels are to radical and you might fall off the edge of the world.

J

jason fisher

i'm unsure about them, i got some free samples on the front of the AT the other week, i havent binned them but i havent used em either.
convince me that they are safe first.

D

Dave Rothery

i think monk means....dont pre-bait with them!

why wouldn't they be safe jason?

B

Bill Cox

I,m sure a carps intestine would be capable of passing a small piece of plastic ,by the very nature a carp feeds it must hoover up all sorts of debris ,stones and small pebbles etc.I see know difference in plastic corn to say a cored boilie with a foam insert.By the way i have been using it all year and have caught a lot of carp and as i said in the opening post i,m still using the same three bits.The corn is made of a rubbery type of plastic and the knot on the hair alone is enough to keep it on .Add a boilie stop and i,d say you would have more luck pulling george best out of the boozer then pulling the corn off.

J

jason fisher

to be honest i think it's because i can't see the fish's gut being able to grind it down if it did get one inside it.
ordinary corn should get squashed but i'm a bit uneasy with the plastic stuff.
i can certainly think of a use for them in my tench fishing if i can stop my self feeling uneasy about using them.

D

Dave Rothery

carp can pass a whole mussel jason, a small bit of plastic wont be a problem.

J

jason fisher

a whole mussel that's 5 inch long and 2.5 inch wide.
i'm not lkely to be carping till next june anyway so i've got plenty of time to decide.

B

Budgie Burgess

They dont have any problems passing whole tigernuts do they?Stuff Ive read on the internet so far about the "Dangers" of artificial hook baits(these by the way arnt peoples theories they are aparently what they have seen!!!!!)-

1. Carp found dead due to stomach being full of artificial bait that has swollen up!!!
2. Carp "choked" on bait!!!!!!!!
3.Artificial bait killed carp by blocking up its arse!!!!!!!!
4. Artificial bait pollutes lake as it dosnt rot down!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well? I think my first description was about right eh? regardless of what they are flavoured with!

C

Cakey

I had 2 big carp in a big tank for about 5 years watching and watching.
they pass tigers whole,shells of hemp whole,sweetcorn skins whole.
infact tigers dont seem to get broken down at all they just get moved around and after about three or four goes I removed them.
another trick Ive seen them do is suck up gravel and food and within a split second blow out the gravel clean, amazing sight.
Anyway you should see what Budgie passes on a monday morning and it dont hurt him.

ps Lee just said "Im on the same four pieces from 2 years ago,and I dont flavour them."