Tackle Workshop

P

Paul Williams

Budgie,
What make of two part resin can you recommend (i'm still using varnish)and does it need to be "turned" and for how long?

R

Ryan Turner

Budgie, How about fixing male sections of a pole, split vertically as in the article, any tips?

Mark Frain

Reaction score
alright budgie new to the forum and just wanting some guidance in a diy problem. i was surfing the web the other day and i saw an american carp site and an angler had somehow used a motorola 2 way radio to make a wireless sounder box any ideas on the wiring for this thanks mark

W

Wolfman Woody

Seymo do a pair of bottles for coating whippings, resin and hardener and there's even a three part mix now. Try here

Hopkins and Holloway have threads too, and reel seats, rings...........

B

Budgie Burgess

Sorry for the delay guys!Despite there being several two part "resin" type rod finnishs available, for repairs of this sort I prefer Araldite.It is a lot stronger and has a far better "bonding" rather than "coating" effect.You need to use the "Standard" Araldite as the "Rapid" does not dry clear and the new "Rapid Clear" goes off too quickly to get a good finnish.To further complicate matters I went to buy some more "Standard" Araldite last weekend for a repair only to find it is no longer available.I am pretty certain that the new "Precission" Araldite is the same thing renamed as close inspection of the small print on my last "Standard" tubes says "precision".

Yes it does have to be turned and also keep the hair dryer on it.About half an hour will see it dry enough to stop running but you will have to leave it for several hours before you can touch it without it marking.Best to leave overnight before handling.

Ryan,I have repaired pole section the same way.I try not to cut them back anymore than necessary,then gently open the split and warm up the joint (once again with a hair dryer,this helps the glue flow easier)trickle some glue into the split then clean off any excess.Next I bind the joint with tape.Once the repair has been left to harden (over night) I remove the tape clean up both inside and outside with glass paper to remove any excess glue or stuck on tape,then whipp and seal with resin as shown.This type of repair is not the best but on the sections closer to the tip a cheap and reasonably effective method.The strength of the repair decreases as you move closer to the butt due to the increase of pressure put on it.It obviously dosent work if the end you are repairing needs to be put in to the next section! In fairness though it is normally the female joints that split.

Mark,converted many types of alarm with louder sirens,LED's,volume control even vibrating pads for deaf guys but never done any with radios.Ask Cakey over on the Carp forum as he mentioned to me some time ago that he had done several radio TX/RX conversions.Sorry cant be more help[.

B

Budgie Burgess

Sorry Ryan,Ive just noticed you said "Male" joints!!!been up all night working so not on the ball!

Male joints can be repaired by inserting a suitabley sized (diameter) piece of carbon/glass.Just push it in from the butt end.Some times if the fit is right you dont even need to glue it in but I still like to get some glue into the split itself and bind and clean as described above.Obviously dont whipp on the out side!The insert will stop any crushing effect whilst the female joint when over it will stop any splitting