Shed Alarm

S

Shrek

After having had my shed broken into for the third time this year and two lots of fishing tackle stolen out of it,
do any of you have one of the above.

If so, what make/model/price etc. Do you think it's effective etc.

My fishing tackle now lives in the house so it didn't go this time, but it ain't half freaking my wife out.

Police will are doing nothing as usual even though there appears to be a spate of burglaries going on at the moment.

The local council also have a scheme to put secure gates onto alley ways, but ours isn't going to be installed until the end of March 2004.

Makes you more akin to the actions taken by that farmer a year or two ago, at least it does me !!!

Thanks

Adrian

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Keep your tackle in the house.

I used to keep all mine in the fourth bedroom which also became my study.

In England I live by myself in a tiny house and keep most of my tackle up in my bedroom.

S

Stuart Bullard

You can buy stand alone alarms Adrian, but unfortunately I dont know the names. One of the problems though is rat and mice setting them off.

D

Dave Rothery

cant you just rig up a simple buzzer/microswitch thing?

B

Bill Eborn

"The local council also have a scheme to put secure gates onto alley ways, but ours isn't going to be installed until the end of March 2004."

There are some 'alleygating' schemes looking to get off the ground in my area too. It needs an act of Parliament to close off the alleyway as it is a public highway, which is one of the reasons it takes so long. I keep my gear indoors as well, although actually I think my rods are so beautiful, I'd like to get some racks made up so they can be on display in my front room, but then I don't have anybody around to complain about my cluttering up the flat which is a bit of an advantage.

The trouble with alarms as far as I can see, is that they go off for no reason so often that they end up getting ignored anyway. If the police can't catch your robbers they may be able to offer some home security advice though, so it might be worthwhile having a chat to them about that.

S

Shrek

Bill, the advice the police offered was to get a shed alarm and a security light fitted. They didn't really condone the "shotgun" approach. Shame that as there is an excellent gun shop in Rugby too !!!

Reason for the length of time for the alleygate is council red tape, contractors etc etc etc !!!

Ron,

Thanks for the "helpful" advice. As I said in my post, I now keep my tackle in the house so none of it went.

S

Simon Hume-Spry

get a bullmastiff the perfect guard dog and the best fishing buddy

J

Jon Moores

Keep it in the house is the only answer. If you think about how much your gear's worth then ask ask yourself would you leave that much money out in the garden protected by a bit of wood and a padlock.

As to it freaking out the wife - the only answer to that is change house or wife - both expensive options.

A

alan outen

i got a small stand alone alarm i use on the front door, it cost a fiver, and is basicaly 2 magnets that when moved by opening the door it goes off.
try b&q, or asda(where i got mine from, about a year ago), or a hardware store

D

darryl rogers

wicks do a shed/garage alarm soler power but you do need back up battrie`s ?13.99 works with door sensers give`s you 20 secounds to switch off or you get deafened

J

John Pleasance

I've got an old alarm that was removed from a bank rigged up to a switch on my garage door.

According to the electrician who removed it for me it's got a 25 mile carry on the sound,it's certainly LOUD.

C

Chris Bishop

Ade, call your local police station and speak to the crime prevention people. They'll give you a list of approved types.

I go along with Ron's approach to be honest. The gear's all in my bedroom.

B

Budgie Burgess

Adrian,first of all I know how you feel Ive had gear nicked out of my car and it hurts.Spent a bit of time in the security buissnes and my advice would be to spend your money securing your shed with good locks strengthening etc.People are obseessed with alarms (allthough a cheap one dont hurt)and cameras.All a camera does is allow you the insult of watching your gear go and alarm let you know!Get it secured and stop them having it in the first place.

Yes Bull Mastiffs are the worlds greatest guard dogs.BUT dont leave them with your beloved fishing gear as they will-

1. Chew it
2. Crap on it
3. Shag it

Or if it is as bizzare as mine just move it all from A to B in some strange cannine Feng Shui type thing!!

S

Simon Hume-Spry

yes i agree with the fen shui type thing i get my boots and anything else rearanged if i leave them lying about i hopeing anyone breaking in would be stopped by the wall a methane that you get when you walk thru the door when your bullmastiff has been merrily farting away all day on the sofa (phewwww baby can they fart ) every time i take him fishing imagine me trying to sneak up on some chub with a 9 stone bullmasiff trying to shag me. sorry gone of the point now i had all my gear nicked 2 years ago of my boat (shouldnt have been so daft as to leave it there in the first place )it is truly truly guting to have you gear nicked .after the last time i found room in the spare bedroom i never let it out of my site even in the car i cover it with a dust sheet

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

"My fishing tackle now lives in the house so it didn't go this time, but it ain't half freaking my wife out."

Move your wife into the shed ............

C

Chris Bishop

She wouldn't leave her jewellery in the shed, so why does she make you leave your vaulables out there..?