Backleading

F

Fred Bonney

Graham,sorry for posting again,this thread didn't show up on the Latest Replies??
Can you give me your views on backleading,when it comes to fishing rivers like the Trent.
On the basis that I could be fishing with say up to a 6oz feeder/lead at distance,with my rod aimed skyward,there is a chance of fish bumping my line and spooking.
Would it be more logical for me to use a smaller feeder/lead with a further lead say 3ft up the line pinning the line to the bottom?
Any thoughts please?

F

Fred Bonney

I think I know why,if nobody's replied it doesn't show!
So any of you guys,like me, only pulling up latest replies, will miss new postings!

J

jason fisher

you don't want to go back leading in that situation, it will put more line in the water and you would need an even heavier feeder to hold bottom.
unless the back lead is heavy enough to hold bottom itself, on the trent i would think 3 to 4 oz should do it.
better get a beach caster to lob that 10 oz out then.

F

Fred Bonney

Thanks Jason,I was thinking of the extremes for top weight,ie flood.
Present conditions on the tidle Trent allow the use of 2/3ozs.
I can't see though,how there would be more line in the water,surely it will only increase the angle of the line from the tip to entry point,rather than direct to the feeder,direct to the backlead?
Mick Wood makes a point on this subject in this months CF,by co-incidence.I'll give it a try this weekend and see if I get any changes.
I am now wondering if I need the rod to be aimed skyward,perhaps the rod tip on the riverbed,may be more appropriate,again I'll give that a try.

J

jason fisher

from past experience of feeder fishing the trent, the lower the rod tip the more weight you need on the feeder to balance it and the more debris collects on the line pulling it out of place,
putting a back lead on causes the line to enter the water earlier
so you have that much more line to pick up debris, you may think it is pinned to the bottom but unless you have a perfectly flat bottom between backlead and feeder this is not the case.
i did try back leading on the weir field while carping about 15 years ago and it only made things worse from the point of holding bottom.

B

Budgie Burgess

Would agree with Jason there Fred.However try it your self and you will see what he says.

D

Dave Barringham

The Trent can be a snag-pit in many parts. Backleading may make the problem worse. Fishing the bow may help, but experimentation will provide the final answer, I expect.

G

Gary Knowles

Backleading is only really viable if the swim in question isn't snaggy. If it is it will cause more problems than it will solve.

another point, why would you have your rods pointing skyward when backleading ?....I always point directly at the backlead and wait for the baitrunner to purr if backleading for barbel...

F

Fred Bonney

Gary,that's what I was thinking,when I said putting the rod tip on the river bed.
The snags I've managed to find, on the Trent stretch I fish, are the big boulders placed for flood relief ,they appear to be within the first 10-20ft of the inside bank.
As reported elsewhere,I didn't bother to get my tackle out on Saturday,so my trials will have to wait a few days!