Striking

C

Cakey

How do you strike and why ?

Wol puts one arm on his hip and does a Zorro type strike.

I strike with a fairly loose clutch and hold the spool after clicking off the bait runner.

is there a better way ?

D

Dave Rothery

i dont "strike", i just let them tighten up - but then i do use braid - as they are hooked already. but then thats probably why i lost those two at cottington.......or was it the cr*p rigs.......or being 50yds from the rods........or them being liners........

you still see people doing the old "tighten up, 3 steps back and whack" thing. why?

D

Dave Rothery

dont do much snag fishing, but then if i do, i would just walk backwards. just cant see the point in striking if you've got a decently sharp hook and a heavy lead.

PTnymph

Reaction score
Then take them to be shotblasting and they will come out like clean & new Cakey or go and buy some new one!!!!!!!!!

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Oi oi,

I dont strike either, just tighten up.

Zorro?

Oooooooooooooer.

S

Sir Steven Blanksalot

or being 50yds from the rods??

Oh dear, the E.A. states that you must always be within 10 yards of any rods that you are using!!!

N

Nick Austin

I Rarely Strike, like dave says, a decent sharp hook, and a weight that aids hooking in some way, and he job is done for you,

(wait to hear the cry's of sorrow from those die hard barbel anglers who hate the self hooking rig!)

I dont use alarms in the day time normally, and i still have a decent hooking rate on my club's lake, which isn't terribly overstocked with carp......

I think my strike just involves tightening up and starting to wind in, until "actual contact" is made, when you start to play the fish relative to it's reactions?..

T

The Monk

You only need to pull into a fish, just try it on a football pitch, doesnt take much pressure to set an hook against a running fish.

C

Cakey

bolt rigs are not self hooking,they only prick the mouth which makes the fish bolt.

N

Nick Austin

I rarely use Bolt rigs?.... and still have to really strike into a fish cakey?... is that because i generally fish fish quite close up, and tight, so the bolting fish reaches the resistance of my line? i wonder?
Or maybe cos i dont have my clutches set over loose?

C

Cakey

The way I see it everybody has to "set the hook"

have I got it wrong ??

M

Malcolm Bason

I use braid 90% of the time, and so lift into a take. However when I'm using mono, I do believe it more necessary to "set the hook" as Cakey puts it. I will then strike because of the stretch with mono.

I see what you are saying Monk, but line in the water will behave differently than out!! There will obviously be more resistance in the water, but also what needs to be taken into consideration is how the line is lying, and of course distance!

Anglers are known for saying "tight lines", but how many of us fish with a truly tight line?

Very few I would suggest! The only time I would fish really tight would be if fishing 'locked up' and not out far, and then I would only need to lift into it.

R

Roto Fryer

cant see that striking is needed. with sharp hooks you just wind in and the fish does the rest

N

Nick Austin

hahahahaha!
seriously cakey.... Most of the carp anglers that night fish MUST agree that by the time theyv'e got out of the bivvy and lifted into arun, it is either well and truley hooked or gone?...

C

Cakey

Nick trust me even if you use 4oz leads (2oz in water)it dont self hook,the point is only just in !

try it with a finger in a bowl of water.

N

Nick Austin

ok... BUT surely by the time youv'e "lifted into" the fish it's set isn't it?.... that's just my limited personal experience?

I suppose as well some of this depends on what a person would call "striking" and what another person may term "playing"
I dont think i strike, i just set the hook then, as i said before, allow the fish to dictate the proceedings to a certain extent, guiding it in...