Bankside etiquette

P

Philip Inzani

Is it just me or does it seem that nowadays you cannot even pass the time of day with another angler without them thinking there is an ulterior motive.
More and more it seems that a simple friendly enquiry such as "caught anything ?" or "had any luck ?" is either greeted with stony faded silence or some smart ass comment like "why dont you find out for yourself" etc etc. I mean what the hell are you supposed to say nowadays ? Seems like you need a legal advisor just to walk the bank! - I think I?ll start using this as my opening gambit from now on...

"Errr excuse me but might I be so bold as to enquire if you are currently having a pleasant time fishing this lake although I can assure you that I will not assume any response you may give is an indication as to whether or whether not you may have caught any fish, or even take it as an indication that this may or may not be a good swim or general area in which to fish in the future"

What do you think ?

J

John Tait

A sad reflection on modern society, isn't it ?? - this selfish, aggressive attitude is becoming more prevalent throughout all walks of life, not just angling.

Jonty

P

Paul Williams

I think John hits the nail on the head,it is a society thing, not just fishing, however i have found that some guys are more approachable than first impressions may give....a cuppa or the offer of food if you are going for a takeaway can open up people.......but alas Philip is right some are just arrogant ignorant sods!! in ALL forms of angling you always get them!!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Those ignorant Tee-shirts get my back up. You know the ones, printed on the back with words like: "No I haven't caught anything, so p*** off."

How I would love to be young anough and big enough to get them by the scruff of the neck and the seat of their pants and turf 'em in with the words, "Neither have I, and I'm really p***ed off!"

S

Stewart Bloor

To echo Jonty and Paul, it's not really a fishing thing as such, it's a society problem, as litter is.
However, the problem compounds itself when anglers come up against rudeness etc and react in the same way. But let us all remember - two wrongs don't make a right. It is possible to buck the trend and actually promote a positive side of angling.
Just last week, I helped out an angler on the bank who didn't know how to tie the knotless knot / hair rig. He then went on to catch a couple of doubles (carp)...(while I blanked....but that's another story...) When the guy left the water he was dead chuffed with his catch. If I've been able to play even a small part in keeping that guy in angling, then mission accomplished.
I've also over the last couple of weeks started to take a 15 year old out fishing. His mom's happy because he's with an adult and so on, and of course he's happy because he gets to do some night fishing etc. And I'm happy because I see it as passing the baton to the next generation. I've told him I'll put his picture in a Pilgrim's Progress when he catches a fish - he's over the moon.
Now, please, please, please, don't misunderstand me. I'm not trying to blow my own trumpet. But we've talked a lot about anti's etc recently. It's right that we do so, of course, but by taking the message of angling to the wider public, so to speak, that will do our cause an immense good.
How many ex-anglers are there out there? I would say a lot. I know that many drift away for all sorts of reasons, but shame on those, who by their bad attitude, have caused this to happen to others.

S

Stewart Bloor

Just read Graham's comments about what he'd like to do etc - my mail wasn't a recation to that - honest....but like you said Graham, if you were BIG enough and YOUNG enough...in other words forget it.....(snigger)

P

Paul Williams

Yoda says,
Measure me by my size you do is it, and he was 300yrs old!! careful Graham ain't a jedi knight too!!
Sedge it's nice when you help someone like you did with the hair rig...but what a dirty rotten trick to return your generosity with!!!.....i once gave a lad a fresh smelt deadbait and a trace....the little *&^%%$ chucked it in the margins and caught a 25+ pike that i had been targeting and hadn't caught!!!......i really sucked a lemon that day!!!! but i'd help anyone!!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
It'd be easy throwing you in anyway Sedge, you're always halfway there anyway when you're not already in.

And Paul, you know what they say about us vertically challenged brothers of the angle - it's quality that matters, not quantity. We're the true roach of anglers, the rest are hybrids, just mere pretenders with the misconception that it's only size that matters.

R

Ron Clay

I actually like people to ask me how my fishing is going. I do get a little narked however with same inane comments that you get in this part of the world, like "Doin owt mate?", "has tha copped owt?" or "A tha baggin up?".

When you are fly fishing and you catch a nice trout the question is always the same: "What fly are yer usin' mate?"

It would be nice if they would also ask about the depth you were fishing and the type of retrieve. I would then go to the ends of the earth to help. At my time of life I actually get more fun out of helping a beginner catch fish than with my own fishing.

D

Davy North

I must admit I have a problem about giving other anglers unsolicited advice, in that I don't want to appear a know it all, or that bloke off Harry Enfield "Oh you don't want to do that!". I suppose it's down to society again, and the fear that people always think the worst of you.
Last summer while walking the dog round the local park lake I saw a young lad about 10, fishing with his parents looking on. There wasn,t a hope in hell of him catching, as he was using a small spinner baited with bread. Obviously he hadn't got a clue (through no falt of his own). I could have stopped and give him some advice, which could have helped him catch, and go on enjoy much more fishing. However my paranoia stopped me. For someone who's always banging on about encouraging the young, it's not something I'm proud of.

Ron I wouldn't get too worried about comments like "caught owt mate" they're just throw away lines to break the ice. Perhaps I should start practising a few.

S

Stewart Bloor

Davy, I appreciate your comments about unsolicited advice. Fortunately, in the instance I referred to earlier in the thread, I was approached and asked. That made it so much more easier.

D

Davy North

Stewart,
In no way did mean you were a know it all, I was just pointing out my own hang ups.