Hybrids

D

Darren Russell

Hia I was recently fishing at llandegla in north wales. I hadnt fished thier since last year. I usualy like to fish the brown trout pool but I heard they have stocked Tiger trout as well and they are doing better. I dont think you are aloud to take home a brown anymore.
I enjoyed fishing for the tigers and read up on other hybrids like the brownbow. do any fisheries stock these and has anyone caught any wild hybrids.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I caught a trout many years ago on the Umzimkulu that looked to be a rainbow. The rainbows breed naturally in this river. Howver it had rather perculiar marbled spots on it's tail, and didn't fight as hard as a rainbow.

I killed the trout and ate it but I kept the tail with the strange spots. A friend said it was a brook/rainbow hybrid. It did not have a vestage of spawn in it.

D

Darren Russell

I have been reading up on this and a brook/rainbow i think is called a cheetah.
a cross between a brook/brown is the tiger and thier are actual rainbow/brown hybrids called brown bow these are supposed to be very weak though.
Do you know how gold and blue trout come about I think i read they are different strains of rainbow.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

You are right Darren. A rainbow/brook is called a cheetah trout. This is the only one I ever remember catching. Brooks must have been wased out of a few trout farms down the Umzimkulu valley at the time.

Personally I'm not very keen on these hybrids. If it happens in nature , fair enough, but not on purpose.

D

Darren Russell

Yeah i read on an american website thatis something like 1/1000 chance of catching a hybrid in the wild. The brown bow trout were suposed to be popular in the 70s and 80's but they were found to be weaker fighters than both the paerant fish.

In course fishing hybrids are common as I have read after becoming interested in hybrids.
the tiger trout at llandegla are supposed to be doing much better that the browns and are much more aggresive and hard fighting.