I love sea trout

• Thread starter Ron Troversial Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron Troversial Clay

Although I've never caught many due to lack of opportunity, sea trout are truly wonderful species. Brownies really that get the sea going urge yet so impressive.

Bright silver with spots that look like little swastikas, a big one is truly one of angling's great prizes as is the Steelhead, the sea going rainbow of America.

How many of you have caught them?

I hope to catch more of them next year, one the fly of course.

C

Colin North, the one and only

Hi Rontro,

I've caught them on the River Teviot and I've seen them caught on the Tweed, big fish there.

The West Coast of Ireland, Mayo and Galway.... loadsa Sea Trout both in the lakes and rivers, and you can fish for them in the sea. The Moy estuary is brilliant for them.

West Coast of Scotland around Ulapool/Wester Ross (Loch Maree) used to be famous for them. I've caught them there but it was a long time ago, before lots of water up there became time shared.

They are certainly caught from time to time on the Hampshire Avon and Dorset Stour although I have never caught one on either of these rivers.

Some of the Welsh rivers hold enormous Sea Trout but I have not fished any of them.

B

Bill Cox

Caught one by accident once whilst float fishing for makerel.it went 8lb10ozand gave a great fight on light carp rod.it must have jumped six or seven times .Brillient.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Come on Eddie, rid yourselfe of those Scouser roots for a while. You know very well that trout, seatrout or salmon do NOT go down well with chips!!

Creamed potatoes with parsley and dill sauce and a tossed Swedish salad.

The fish should be grilled with butter and olive oil, after having sea salt and fresh gound black pepper rubbed in.

The members of the salmonids are a noble species.

A good '84 Pouilly Fume also goes well.

G

goff dyer

Ron they taste better than all the other trout put together, and one of the best fighters on a fly rod.
Never fished for them this season due to my knee op and not much fresh in the rivers, but at the moment our local river is chock a block with them and salmon (typical) never mind theres always next season.

C

Chris Bishop

Love to catch one, tried years ago when I lived near the Exe, Dart etc but never managed it.

They catch them off my local beaches using stake nets and I've seen people fly fishing for them at Wells.

D

Dave Rothery

yeah eddie, pommes frite, not chips.....

flippin philestine.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

oooooops sorry! I didn't know you were a froggy type

Anythings good with 'pommes frites' though isn't it..(got to be homemade ones)

K

Keith Hacking

Yes cracking fish sea trout,fished a lot for them this season,night fishing for them on the fly,did'nt get many,but good fun,exciting when the big ones jump near you in the dark.heck of a fight too,
had some spinning, and worming too.

T

The Monk

used to do a bit on the night fly, early seventies, Teal Blue and Silvers, Peter Ross, fishing the Scottish river pools, one cast, 1 step, pound for pound better fisgters than Salmon mate

J

Jon Moores

Fabulous fish. A sea trout at night has to be the best fly fishing can offer.

I spend a week or two up on the South Esk each year for the sea trout and it's the highlight of my summer fishing. The Monk is right about the comparison with salmon (also beat them in eating qualities).

I fish the Kirriemuir water on the South Esk and to my mind it is the most fabulous value.Week and day tickets are available, but so is membership at ?130 a year.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I'd love to flyfish for seatrout but like Ron, never had the opportunity.

J

Jon Moores

I've had the odd one on the fly on the Ribble, but haven't been too successful on there - also tend to get a bit distracted by the barbel & chub on the Ribble.

Keith - how early in the year do you find reasonable numbers in the Ribble?

G

goff dyer

Rod catches year 2002 on the Ribble, sea trout (1553) thats v good runs of s/t in my book.
Sounds a v good river.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Those are excellent records for sea trout; a far superior species to the salmon on my opinion.