Let's go fly fishing

• Thread starter Ron Troversial Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron Troversial Clay

I do not apologise for putting this thread in the General Section.

At this time of the year I start looking forward to springtime, and to me that means fly fishing for trout.

During the past 3 years I have done little fly fishing, mainly because I have been involved with other species. I have perhaps spent too much time after barbel on the Trent. Sure i've had successes, best fish 11lb 6oz together with quite a few doubles.

But somehow there is not the fun in this sort of fishing. I discovered the other day that I am missing my fly fishing. After all I spent nearly 15 years of my life doing little else.

So starting this next April I am after trout, and sea trout, and who knows maybe a salmon on the fly. I shall be fishing a whole host of different waters, from local lakes to reservoirs to Derbyshire and Yorkshire streams. I hope to venture also to Scotland, or even Ireland to catch seatrout and salmon.

Most of us on FM have , I feel aspirations to be all-round anglers.

You can never consider yourself to be an all-round angler if you have not caught a hard fighting trout on the fly rod. Come on guys, give it a go.

You will never know what you have missed if you don't.

Our Graham seems to be getting the bug.

I've had the bug since I was 14.

K

Keith Hacking

hope you get your salmon on the fly Ron,I have only caught one on fly,nearly thirty years ago now ,still remember it as one of the best fighting fish i have caught,
it was about seven pounds in weight,and i caught on a six weight fly rod,fishing for sea trout,i was on the river hodder a tributary of the ribble,happy days.
still fish fly for them,but no luck yet.
lack of confidence in the method i think,if i'm confident in the way i'm fishing i usually catch,hav'nt got it with fly fishing for salmon though.

F

Fred Bonney

Up to 5/6 years ago I was taken regularly on freebees to a beat on the Test, with a business aquaintance.
Had a great deal of fun and success with Grayling and Rainbows.
May well give it another go,unlikely to be on the same beat or come to that, river though!

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I've never done any proper fly fishing--I did have a mess around but kept cracking the flies (like a whip)off so never bothered again.......

T

The Monk

I`ll have a go with you Ron, I taught the girlfriend to cast a fly last year, shes pretty good now, got about 8 fly rods in the tackle room and all the gear,plus a full set of tying gear, vises etc not used most of it, used to love the old graying on leaded nympths. (cant beat a nympth thats what I always say)?

S

Stephen Mc Cormack

Seeing as the monk likes nymphs so much does that make him a nymphomaniac ?

Really though I can't wait for the new season to start over here in March as I'm getting a new 8' weight 5 rod for the upper reaches of the Liffey and a couple of other smaller rivers, and I'm also going to try my hand at some still water nymphing if I can get the chance.

J

Jon Moores

Ron - best of luck with the salmon & sea trout. As I've mentioned on another thread I can recommend the South Esk for the sea trout and a chance of salmon. If you can get hold of August's Trout & Salmon there's a bit about the river by Ally Gowans. However, if your going to Ireland then that has to be your best chance of a salmon.

On the fly I've had 4 salmon plus a number of grilse and it's probably because I've had only a few that I find the take of a salmon on a fly to be, in a very understated way, one of the most special moments in fishing. It's generally unexpected and because it is so gentle it's hard to believe what has happened, followed by a realisation that you really have hooked one that sets the heart pounding.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I'm not new to flyfishing, but had a lay-off from it for several years. My hernia op earlier this year forced me to return to it for fly gear was about the heaviest I could carry.

I enjoyed it so much I don't intend to stop again, but mix it with coarse fishing for big and small fish, match fishing, etc. I'm sure I could just as easily take to sea fishing given more opportunity.

It's simple as far as I'm concerned, I just love fishing.

T

The Monk

probably Steve, glad I`m not a women, I`d have a right name?

T

The Monk

The fly is lovely on the Ribble Graham for Chub and Dace, traditionally we would catch Dace on the old Greenwells and Chub on anything with a big bushy hackle like Zulu`s, real Crabtree stuff, nice and light, roaming about the meadows in the Summer evenings waiting for the hatches, its a lovely way to fish

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I must try that next summer Monk. Sounds good.

T

The Monk

you`ll love the change Graham, I like to leave the bivvy behind occasionally

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Cakey,

I taught fly casting and fly tying as well as techniques on both river and stillwater, semi-professionally for amost 15 years I guess. I have taught some top South Africans who are now in the government there, Cyril Rhamaposa and Vally Moosa come to mind.

To you I'll give a couple of lessons for nowt!!

Get yourself a 9 to 91/2 foot fly rod that will throw a #6 line. No need to spend a fortune either, although don't buy cheap rubbish.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I want lessons too.......
I'll be a good boy (for a scouser)...... honest

D

Dave Rothery

i'll lend you some kit cakehole. stopped cos fluffchucking was soooo easy.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Dave, anyone who relegates fly fishing to "fluff chucking" needs drawing, hanging and quartering.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Come one Dave you know why.

For a start, a lot of the flies we cast are not made out of "fluff".