Grass Carp

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
Here in NZ the authorities are quite happy going around electronetting and blubgeoning prime koi to death as the are classed as a noxious pest but they keep stocking waters (mainly shallow lakes suffering from weed explosions)with Grass Carp to control the weed which works like a dream!!! But they keep issuing statements that they can be released because they are 100% certain that Grassies will not breed in NZ.
My question is where do they breed in the wild and why do my authorities think they will not breed here in NZ?
Any Grass Carp experts out there???????

T

The Monk

we have some in a Manchester water, been there for years, they don`t appear to either breed or grow much, they also don`t appear to eat much grass

J

jason fisher

they only start to munch the weed when the temperature gets high usually higher than we get in the average summer, so i presume they need a higher temperature to breed too?

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
They munch weed like its going out of fashion down here, I have seen the results......

I

Ian Whittaker

Of course grassies breed - otherwise they would be extinct!

T

The Monk

actually the Manchester grass carp are about 2,ooo years old and all gay!

A

Andy Nellist

Grass Carp are originally from China. They will only breed in very fast flowing water at above 16C.

T

The Monk

we always knew them as White Amur or Chinese Grass Carp, they inhabit the paddy fields, more like a large chub than an actual carp. Fast flowing water sounds about right.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

the Chinese keep small Amur in aquariums ---they reckon they are very lucky and bring wealth

E

I like the marine tanks they have in a lot of Chinese restaurants

T

The Monk

yeah but some of them have the menu in?
I wouldnt have to heart to eat something that was was swimming around enjoying its self (oh no, not Eric?)

E

I dont mean the eatable ones I mean the tanks with the ornamental marine fish like Mandarins and lion Fish etc...The colours are really nice on some of them ....

T

The Monk

yeah no what you mean Eddie, we have a large
Chinese quarter here in Mank land, run by lads from Hong Kong, but they look the part, lovely display tanks