summer campain

J

jim turner

this summer i'm planning on tackling my clubs large water. it is about 3 acres in size, and the fish are generally larger. With four fish over 40 and many more over 30. These fish come out quite often are all named and because of this are very wary. Most of the carp anglers try to get a peg up in one corner where there is some large snags. personally i'd like to fish some where different to this on another bank as im sure this isn't the only area the fish go to. The lake is fairly deep (6-20ft) and on my feature finding sesions, i've found gravel bars, gravel patchs and even what is known as a sunken island. How should i approach these spots? i.e. on a gravel bar on the top of it, base or on one of the sides? also on the presentation front will a standard semi-fixed bolt rig work? or should i use a running lead with less resistance? on this front would back leads or slack line be beneficial? Now onto bait, should i stick with bolies i've found good on other waters, or use different baits to stay one step ahead. and finally on freebes. There is a restriction of 1kg per person per 24hr sesion. (due to some irresponsible idiots who used up the 40kg beds of bait!) what should i use? single hook baits? skattered loosefeed, tight beds of bait or play around with these? sorry a lot there. But im going to try and get the most out of this water! cheers guys any help would be useful because these fish are weary!

D

Dave Rothery

without trying to sound unhelpful, all of those things! do the opposite of everyone else, but if they're catching, do the same....

large water at 3acres? 4 40's? lots of 30's? ou est ca?

J

jim turner

sorry im really bad at acres, the dimensions are 250m/150m/200m its basically the largest lake on the clubs complex.sorry im also not very good at french! but i guess ur asking which club is or similar? its a secretive club situated in south hertfordshire.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

heheheh----Most of these blokes cast that far ......

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

and thats even if the lake isnt as big as that

C

Carp Angler

I'd say that you best bet is to use the tactics, bait, baiting strategy and rigs that you have confidence in.
You've started well by finding all different spots, but just remember that most of the others would have found those spots as well.
Don't go in and expect to catch on your first foray.
Think for the long term and plan around that.

You tell me what sounds better......

"A bloke I met told me to cast to this spot when the wind is SW and there is somebody fishing to that point, becasue the carp then move to this spot, and I caught a whacker"

or.....

"While I was down the lake fish spotting, I noticed that when there is pressure on this part of the lake, the fish tend to move to here and don't appear to be really feeding, but will spot feed. So I cast a small bag of my trusted bait to an intercept point and my instints were proved right, because within 20 minutes I was connected to one of the wiliest carp in the lake"

Catching pressured carp is all about using your experience to gauge the situation and adapting your tactics accordingly.
Don't fall in to the trap of camping and blanking.
Think minimal gear, travel light and be prepared to move and adapt.

Dave's point about doing the opposite to everyone else is very valid, but all the others will be trying to do that as well.
Just try to do your own thing, be confident and stay focused.

J

jim turner

cheers guys, the lake is very small but good things come in small packages eh!?? thanx a lot and merry christmas!