SMARTCAST FISHFINDER

S

Steve Mead

Hi
Has anyone tried one of the Hummingbird smartcast fishfinders and maybe could give me some feedback as i quite fancy one but dont want to wastw ?180.00 on a lump of crap.
Thanks
Steve.

C

Cakey

Had mine a year now and its the bollocks but I paid under ?100 by direct order from the states.

One thing is the bit you cast out is sealed and therefore you cant change the battery and is a throwaway unit.

second thing is the range is limited to 100 feet.

3rd thing mine dont like measuring depth under 3 feet dont know if they are all like it.

T

Tim Richardson

The UK ones are the same, they dont like water 2 feet or less. All in all though a good bit of kit.

R

richard gray

in the angling times today 30/12/2003 on there review pages the new smart cast with a wrist band display for 100 pounds

Tim Birch

Reaction score
Sorry, didnt see this thread and started a new one in General.
Its the watch item Im interested in though.

Cakey, would you say it actually helps much with regards to finding shoals or large fish?

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Used mainly for depth Tim. Locating drop off's, weed etc.

D

David Will

A couple of questions. How much does the sealed unit cost to replace? How far can the sealed unit be cast ie how heavy is it?
Is there an optimum speed it has to be retrieved and does it come with spare underpants as I fear every cast will be a pant filling operation !!!

C

Cakey

?29 was a quote at the weekend
in the local tackle shop.

but they are only $15 at the bass pro shop in the states .
I will let you know on this later as Im about to order one,the old one has been cut up and is now fitted in my bait boat .
Ive been experimenting and now got the range to about 175 yards with out to much hassle.

let me know if any one wants to know the mods.

J

Jon Carrington

New'ish on here,
I also am interested in these, Had a bit of a search on the web and Stateside they vary in price but can be found as low as $80 with the exchange rate at the minute this works out about ?45 so cheap as chips, this doesn't include shipping but it still has to be a lot cheaper than over here...as long as you don't mind waiting a bit for it..
Cheers Jon

J

Jon Carrington

Had a bit more of a look on the web for these,Price wise I have found the RF10 unit for $169 or just under ?100 and over here I have seen it at ?189!!!.
The Smartcast or wrist version I managed to find it for arround ?50 and I think over here it is about ?120. You'd have to pay shipping and I think would need to request it is sent as a present or you may be liable for import tax but it still is a lot cheaper than buying over here....

D

David Will

Cabelas works out at ?111 with postage, they offer the present style of packaging.

Tim Birch

Reaction score
You can get them for around 80 dollars, in america (60 ish squid), but the British version is 110 squid. I have been told that they are two different items, and the british one has to go through more stringent tests.
Also it is illegal to use the american one in Britain, is this true or are we paying through the nose again (as usual)?

There must be a way round this surely.?

A

andrew jackson

I understand that they work on different frequencys and smartcasts operating on the American frequency are illegal to use in this country. Or at least thats what I have been told could be true could be bull?

A

andrew jackson

Cheers Warren that sorts that out. Top livebait by the way, although I wouldnt go to the lengths of photographing it. :O)

C

Cakey

Ive measured the frequency of mine (american bought)and Ive measured one in the local tackle shop.
guess what.....
no difference

whos havin who on ?

S

Steve Mead

Thanks for all the info guys, if ordering from cabelas do you just have to ask them to mark it "presant", when i bought a min-cota engine from them they sent by UPS who demanded all the handling and import fees on delivery.

Steve.