If you had the choice

• Thread starter Ron Troversial Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron Troversial Clay

For the best all round fishing prospects, where would you want to live?

For me there are 3 choices:

1: Hampshire - Ringwood

On close proximity to the Avon and Stour plus all those lovely gravel pits with big bream and tench. For just over ?100 a year I would join Christchurch Angling Club. And there is aso good sea fishing and those mullet.

The only downside is that game fishing is very expensive and exclusive.

2: Oxfordshire - Witney

Tremendous gravel pit fishing. The Upper Thames in close proximity as well as the Cherwell and Upper Ouse.

Game fishing is not bad, again rather expensive if you want to get on a river.

3: Where I live now - Rotherham.

The river's Don and Rother on my doorstep, they get better all the time, plus The Idle for big roach and not more than 32 miles away, the Trent, which has some of the best barbel fishing in the country. You are on the A1 M for the Yorkshire Rivers, Close to top class river fly fishing in Derbyshire and many truly excellent still water.

And there are those undiscovered gravel pits of the Trent valley.

Where would you live?

J

John Pleasance

I wouldn't want to move all the way to Ringwood, flipping heck, it's nearly ten miles from here!

E

EC

Hampshire probably, but I had a year in Worcs and that was nice as well.

However my old mate lives in Milton keynes and he is never more than 15 minutes from 'anywhere'fishing wise!

One thing for certain, the Wirral/most of Merseyside is a desert for decent coarse fishing! (Eddie?) Which is probably why I started doing a bit of Sea fishing just to get some sort of mid week fix!

I have seriously toyed with the idea of moving to Cheshire though!

D

Dave Rothery

where i do, devon. you'd love it ron, cheap (even free) game fishing, bass, mullet, shark and NO CARP FISHING!!

A

Andy Nellist

Tring where I live now. The reservoirs are always on hand with challenging but potentially very rewarding fishing for many species. The are also many pits and the Ouse and Thames within an hours drive.

T

The Monk

south London I suppose, Ideal for most carpy places including the continent, just like to keep the accent though

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Nearly all of my bream fishing was in Cheshire/Shropshire

The nearest decent fishing is 40+ miles away
Dane --30 ish
Ribble --40ish miles
Dove-- 70 '' ''
Cheshire /Shropshire Meres 40+ miles

We have a lot of park lakes(7 in fact) around the city (council run)which are free fishing but they are not my type of waters

R

Richard Drayson

Ron,
That very attractive cottage on the Hants Avon at Britford springs to mind.

Just the thought of those lovely fat roach being, quite literally, on your doorstep.

F

Fred Bonney

Some regrets from moving away from Milton Keynes,would love to live somewhere down in the New Forest though,from Downton,south,good memories.
Still to try out the Don,the Idle and to give the Trent a real go.
So I'll stay put for a little while

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Cause its a shit-hole full of tight arse muppets.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

We're not tight, just careful with our money, ask Graham.

And I told you, one of my choices is Rotherham.

J

jason fisher

i'd probably stay here in didcot about 20 miles from whitney because i can get to all the places ron mentioned in the witney bit and i know where all the free fishing places are, plus if i want to go the the hampshire rivers it's about 80 minutes away straight down the motorway. but best of all the free fishing bit i caught all my fish from in the last few months is about 10 minutes drive from my house.
if not here then some where closer to the trent.

J

jason fisher

as far as game fishing is concerned if you can put up with catching totally wild 3lb brown trout i know a little bit of river that's free for them too, though i've only ever had em on the magott feeder.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ron, I really am very lucky to be able to live in the Hampshire Avon basin as you know and would not want to move away at all. However, now that my family has arrived from the States we find that the cottage is nowhere near large enough so we are looking for a family house in the same area.
With any luck we may just have found the perfect place only about 4 minutes drive away from the pub where we had those very expensive sausages with Nigel.
If we get the place then the Ship will be my nearest pub and we will still have lots of room for visiting anglers.

Watch this space.

D

Dave Slater

If the Stour and the Ouse were near to each other this would be the place. I love the Stour but I think I prefer the Ouse to the Avon. When I moved to Ringwood about 20 years ago it was a toss up between Ringwood and Oxfordshire as I used to spend a lot of time fishing in both areas. I used to fish the Oxfordshire rivers a lot and the pits around there were, at the time, far better than those down here. I think what swayed it in the end, at the risk of upsetting the politically correct, is that almost everybody around Ringwood is English. Talking to John Cadd a while ago this is the main reason he moved down here from Oxford.

T

The Monk

oh well if we are going to start changing geography, I want to live between the St Lawrence, France and the Colne Valley, a 5 minutes walk from each?

C

Colin Hutchinson

For quality of life and a safe place to bring your kids up, you can't beat Cumbria. For fishing i would like to live in the Worcester / Stratford area. I'm a southerner and have lived up north for 20 odd years and love it. Maybe WG (if he can get off the M25) should visit the north it may change his stereotypical attitude that you find down south of northerners. If getting value for money and not paying through the nose for everything is being a muppet, then yes we are "muppets" it's also a long long way from the ferry terminals, so "Tourists" can only get as far as Watford on vouchers!!