Richard Walker

dezza

Reaction score
For those who might not know, August 3rd of this year 2010, marks a quarter of a century from when **** Walker passed away in 1985.

To preserve the memory of our greatest freshwater angler and writer, I am planning a special feature for the August issue in a local monthly magazine. I think we should do something on this website too.

But what do you think?

Keith M

Reaction score
I think that would be a brilliant Idea Ron.
It doesn't seem that long ago, I still get a lot of enjoyment reading his books & articles.

I should imagine that 'waterlog' would also be doing a similar feature?

NB. Which is the local monthly that will be carrying your special feature Ron?

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
To preserve the memory of our greatest freshwater angler and writer, I am planning a special feature for the August issue in a local monthly magazine. I think we should do something on this website too.

But what do you think?

I'll have a word with his best mate, see if he'll dictate something for us. Don't hold your breath though, August is a long way away.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Hmm. I had to settle for a fishingmagic elf because it seems [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsFyZwFcFHw"]YouTube- Tom Waits - God's Away On Business[/nomedia]

Dave Burr

Reaction score
Just reprint No Need To Lie, one of the finest angling books written.

I got my copy in '64 or 65 when I was a lad, it was informant and entertaining and had a massive influence on me. If you have never read it then try to get hold of a copy or borrow one looking at the prices on Amazon. Little Egret Press did a reprint but I gather that has sold out too.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with showing respect, but i wouldn't go as far as saying he was the greatest fresh water angler.

A

almosthuman

Nothing wrong with showing respect, but i wouldn't go as far as saying he was the greatest fresh water angler.

No doubting he was hugely influential and a forward thinker , modern specimen hunting owes him a debt of gratitude . I agree with the above quote , and for me he would have to share that accolade with Peter Stone , the Hughes brothers , Rev. E.C Alston and many , many more still alive .... Its important to remember their contributions to our pastime .

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I think 'almosthuman' has it about right-Walker sits,along with many others,in a position that many of us would aspire to,to leave our mark on angling in some way......

I also agree with Ray that the word'greatest' around Walker is misused to some extent.Yes,he was very influential and for my money bought specimen hunting to the masses(I'm old enough to remember what angling was like before Walker came to the fore) BUT he was not the only one.
Personally I do owe him a debt of gratitude simply because he made me think about my fishing more deeply,that angling could be that little bit more if good solid reasoning could be applied rather than just chuck-it and-chance it and I know my catches improved because of it.
Perhaps you had to be around at the time to appreciate him and his writings but I don't ask anyone else to understand that!

Ron,yes I think its a nice idea but it will not be for everyone and thats okay as well..........

and my list of greats?......well,it would have to include Stone,Gibbinson,Buller,Yates,Hutchinson,Bailey,Carl Forbes,Maddocks et al...and my all-time favourite H T Sheringham all of whom have helped make my fishing life that little bit special............................

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Ron

I think it would make an excellent piece for FM but don't stop there -why not pick a different "Great" angler each month and do a piece about them old and new. Come on Ron put pen to paper or finger to keyboard

noknot

Reaction score
Not wanting to start a row here, but was Walker really that good compaired to the likes of Hilton, Stone, Thomas et all?

This is not being disrespectfull, but I feel others achieved as much or more as the Grandfathers of Carp angling? Maddocks even called Redmire "Easy"!

Last edited:

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
It's true he did. But Walker's main effect was to inspire. People who read Maddocks were already inspired, and already had Carp Fever. I did for sure :)

noknot

Reaction score
It's true he did. But Walker's main effect was to inspire. People who read Maddocks were already inspired, and already had Carp Fever. I did for sure :)
Well me just being a lad Geoff, Maddocks took it to another level IMO!

As I stated, no disrepect for MR. Walker at all, who was a great pioneer for Carp angling and should be remembered as such, but so too should the others!

Mr.R. Walker is a legend and I look forward to the write up's:w

Dave Burr

Reaction score
**** Walker was the right bloke in the right place at the right time.

He had spoken/written much about the carp scene and was fortunate enough to have caught Clarissa. Had the run come to Pete Thomas' rod that night how would the world be now?

Because of that wonderful fish the angling world sat up and paid attention and Walker became the hub of a specimen movement. He was an inspiration and a guru to other up and coming anglers. I do not think that Pete Stone would have been the absolute legend he became without Walker's influence but likewise the same can be said in reverse.

History only identifies the winners or spectacular losers. Walker made his place in angling history by catching a record fish that had been thought impossible just a few years earlier and he did it on a rod of his own design and making. He went on to demonstrate a knowledge and an ability to inspire that altered the face of fishing for ever.

Yes, there probably were better casters, trotters, stalkers or whatever. Yes, many have come and gone since. But as far as carving your niche, Walker is King and made an impression at a time when the post war people could embrace the sport for what it is today rather than a means of filling the larder. That is why he will always be remembered, no other angler will make such a revolutionary impact on the sport in our lifetimes.

dezza

Reaction score
Dave Burr,

Up to know Dave, you are the closest as to what Walker was, and that he certainly was our greatest ever freshwater angler and writer.

Certainly there were much better catchers of specific species of fish, if that's how you would rate great anglers, but not many. If you list all the disciplines of freshwater angling, few would come close to Walker, and that would be the same today, make no mistake.

Remember Walker was not a full time professional angler. He was no Matt Hayes, Terry Hearn, Des Taylor or Hywel Morgan. Walker worked a 9am to 6.00 pm 5 day week as technical director of a major grass cutting machinery manufacturer. The only time he had for fishing for most of his life was a few hours at weekends, maybe a couple of days on occasions, and odd evenings in summer.

These are the facts that make him our greatest angler!

If you study what he caught based on the time he had available, he was not only our greatest angler, he was also our most efficient.

As regards his writings, he was very fortunate in having a superb secretary who not only typed much of his stuff, but took dictation over the phone. Many of his weekly articles to AT were dictated and/or telexed.

Mention has been made of Peter Stone.

I was a close friend of Peter Stone ever since meeting him in Melton Mowbray in 1965. Peter, if he was alive today, would be the first to acknowledge Walker as the man who inspired himself to become what he did become, one of Britain's most loved and respected anglers.

One has only to read "The Stone - Walker Letters" to realise this.

Last edited: