Treating Waterproofs

Oscar The Grouch

Reaction score
My brolly (through time) has started to become less waterproof, as has my old fishing jacket!

Can anyone suggest a good spray/substance etc. to help make them waterproof again??

Cheers and Happy New Year everyone!

T

The Monk

I would say dont use the Nikwax spray because after you spray it on it starts to smell like vinegar. You could try the Graingers version or a shop called Lakeland Limited who have one that I have seen but not used so dont know what its like.

R

Richard Drayson

It would depend on the type fabric. Take a look at the Nikwax website for more info.

One other thing that most people don't realise is that normal biological detergents should not be used on some fabrics to clean them before treatment with a re-proofer, especially breathable fabrics.

A

alan outen

agree with Dave, fabsil is a brillant product and cheap to, find it in a camping shop, last can i brought cost about ?3

J

jason fisher

use fabsil on your brolly cause it's fab, you can get it from camping shops for reproofing tents.
but dont use it on breathable clothing for that use some thing like grangers extreme x

Oscar The Grouch

Reaction score
Thanks everyone!
Hope you all have a great new years eve and may 2004 bring you more angling adventures!!

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Thompsons Waterseal (from B&Q etc)

?5.99 litre---you can get a sprayer which fits to the can --or just use a paintbrush

Its actually made for brickwork but is absolutely brilliant for brollies ,bivvies and waterproofs

Never pay stupid prices for the stuff you get in camping shops....this is much much better

T

Tim Richardson

I use nikwax to re-proof my wet weather gear and it works a treat. If you want to use it in the washing machine, make sure you clear out all the gunk out of the detergent dispensers first. Also Nash actually recommend Thompsons Waterseal for reproofing bivvies.