record breaker

R

Richard Lee

For those of you interested in big fish, I thought I'd let you know the chub record has been broken over the weekend.
Obviously there has to be a scales check etc.
The fish is from a stillwater - if it proves to be its weight, then this will be the first time a specimen from a lake has held the record.
There are pics of it in Tuesday's Angling Times if anyone would like to see it (thanks for the free plug Graham - I owe you).
Back to work.
Cheers lads.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Yes mate, perhaps a cast off livo from years ago whilst somebody was after the large pike.

He made a good 'landing' there didn't he!!!!!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I am not surprised that the record chub would eventually come from stillwater. There used to be some monsters in an Oxon gravel pit I used to fish.

I had 3 of them over 6 pounds myself.

W

I might be wrong, but thats the info i got, have to wait n see!

J

jason fisher

who was it that described big chub as the most fearful of fish, i reckon he was talking about still water fish the only ones i've ever seen havent been caught as far as i know.

B

Bill Cox

Few chub stocked in our lake a few years ago (before the present club took over)and they seem to be doing well they rarely come out but a carper had one to 6lb 10oz this year.Ive seen the photo,s

D

Dave Rothery

i wonder if barbel would do as well in stillwater...... :(

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
No problem with the 'plug' Rich. You know I've always said that there is more mileage in complementing each other rather than competing. Two different medias with a common goal - promoting angling.

Anyway, back to the big chub. Assuming it is accepted as a record, I wonder if there will be any cries for the record to be split between stillwater and river?

It's not such a daft question. Ask yourselves this: If a record barbel came from a stillwater, what would happen then......

And I know that there will be many chub anglers who will be extremely disappointed that this potential record has been caught from a stillwater. I'm one of them.

D

Dave Slater

I will get a copy on Tuesday and look forward to seeing the photos Richard. Some of my friends will be disappointed if the record goes from a stillwater. I will not as I enjoy fishing for stillwater chub as well as river fish. They do seem to do very well in stillwaters and the ones I have caught have always been in good nick.

J

John Hepworth

Couldn't agree more about the stillwater issue Graham. As I have said on another thread, stillwater chub hold no interest for me what so ever. The environment in which the fish comes from is far more important than merely the size of the fish.
For the captor I am pleased, but I only hope that it's not like the other 'record' chub taken from that Cambridgeshire stillwater Angling Times published a few years ago.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I'd fish for big stillwater chub, no problem at all, and no doubt thoroughly enjoy it. The fact that I'd prefer to see the record come from a river has nowt to do with that. Just that, like barbel, I see chub as a river fish and I'd like to see the ultimate fish come from a river.

R

Richard Lee

The venue in question is an incredible water and if this fish doesn't quite break the record after a scales check, then I'm sure a specimen from the place will eventually find a way into the history books.
Last weekend alone, I think there were three 7 lb fish also banked including one by the captor of the record in waiting - think about that for a brace!
It isn't anything like the Cambs 'record' chub John in that this wasn't a supplied picture. As you know, I think Phil Smith and one or two others had that chub at a later date at 6 lb-plus.
This new fish was landed by a very experienced angler and weighed correctly.

W

And i thought Phil caught nowt from that water, Hmmmmmmm! Meeting up with him later, will have to ask him on that one.

;o)

D

Dave Rothery

do we want to go down the trout route of natural/bred records ie river vs stillwater, english vs imported, caught on boilie vs caught on flake (mmmmmmm chocolate!)

R

Richard Lee

I might be wrong Warren, dont hold me to it. When you see Phil tell him it's ?500.
The price of the season ticket for the southern lake he's about to buy.