Venue info

Tim Birch

Reaction score
Does anyone know of Bolton Brickyards (Bolton on Dearne).
I've been fishing it this winter (day sessions) and up to know its beating me.

I've heard its very difficult in winter but won't be told.

Just switched to active-8 in hope.
Bream like betaines, tench like trigga.
Only carp runs on medusa rigs upto know using multistrand (both lost)
Any info on this water would be appreciated.

D

Dave Rothery

tim, dont get into the bait trap. what i mean is that dont start doubting your bait, if you dont catch after a couple of sessions, are you going to change again? activ8 is a brilliant bait, but then trigga seems to do the business as well. you've had runs on medusa rigs - why did you lose them (hooklength break/hook pull?). are others catching many? what bait are they using? what rigs? what swims? one of the problems i have is that fishing a night mid week, i rarely see other people, so i never know. sometimes theres no reason you're not catching, you just have to keep at it, keep looking, and it'll come right.

Tim Birch

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Dave.

As far as using active-8 I have talked to a couple of people who swear catch rates have lifted, and this time I'm rolling my own for fresher baits and this seams nice and simple to start with.

Never had great success on trigga (except the bait spray).

As far as the hooklink was concerned this was a line break mainly my own fauly as I doctored the multistrand by thinning it down to probably about 3/4 amount of strands (stupid I know know!).

Have seen one carp come out (about 8lb) on a pole.

I think the weather is turning and things feel right to happen (one of those feelings).

However I just wondered if anyone had any tips regarding this venue such as rigs, lead weight, hooklink or holding spots.