PVA - The ‘Confuser of Carp’

D

Dave Slater

Nice article Dave. I found it very interesting. I like stingers too. I caught my p.b carp and my p.b. tench using stringers. I hadn't thought of using bags for maggots until I read your article. I can think of a few situations where this may work for chub and I will give it a try. Thanks for the idea.

B

Bill Cox

Good article Dave, I may try maggots in a bag this weekend ,some good chub in our lakes.I have found stringers sometimes do not dissolve fully and have stopped using in the winter but as you say usefull for keeping paired baits together.I usually use boilie sausages or mesh bags of pellet ,as you say the permutations are endless.

S

Sascha Welsch

Bill,
You may find that some PVA thread has a much lower breakdown time than others i.e. it is intended for different water temperatures. Have a play around with different types in winter and you may find it works better. I believe some companies actually produce PVA specifically for winter breakdown.

D

Dave Rothery

bill, try krystons meltdown string and tape, always melts for me. like i said, you have to make sure theres a fair gap between baits to allow for shrinkage.

D

Dave Rothery

only problem with maggots is avoiding nuisance carp... ;)

J

john conway

Nice article Dave, I’m also a fan of the PVA (PVOH don’t want to upset our Ron) stocking. I’ve used it for free lining on the Lancaster canal for Grass Carp and also on the Ribble for chub and barbel, with maggots as well as pellets, on very snaggy swims. I’ve also dried out tined sweetcorn between paper hankies and used that as well, however, you’ve got to be quick, best done at the bank side. Only complaint is the cost, anyone know of a cheap source?

S

Sascha Welsch

Best bags / Cheapest prices = ESP in my opinion. Can be solid or perforated, various sizes, cheaper than the vast majority and perform well. I also use the stocking type occasionally depending on the presentation required.

A

Andy Nellist

John if you cover the sweetcorn in a light fish oil then it won't melt the pva and you will have added attraction

T

The Monk

being probably one of the first carp anglers to use PVA ca 1974, I was surprised to find anglers reffering to the material as Polyvinyl Alcohol, when my understanding was that the industry named it Acetate, because of its chemical make up. We were very fortunate in that we obtained samples of this material via a group member who worked for a chemical company, long before the fishing manufacturers cottoned onto it. An excellent article Dave.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
PVA IS Polyvinyl Acetate, but what we anglers use is PVOH - Polyvinyl Alcohol.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Absolutely correct Graham.

What gets me is the amount of people who will not face up to the truth even when it stares them in the face.

Polyvinyl Acetate (PVA) is used in paints and coatings.

The correct short form for Polyvinyl Alcohol, the stuff that dissolves in water, is PVOH.

My works chemist told me this and the fact that the tackle industry had been misleading anglers for many years.

Lets get it right chaps and let's scream the truth from the rooftops.

And why is it so expensive?

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
And why is it so expensive?

......because us daft gits are prepasred to pay for it Ron!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I have used PVOH quite a lot. There is no doubt it has a number of tremendous properties for presenting baits.

Yet to pay several pounds for what in fact is worth no more that a couple pence is madness.

I was given a quote some years ago for 500 metres of the stuff from one of its manufacturers.

The price beared no relationship to that being asked for the stuff in tackle shops, in tiny packets with a picture of a carp on the label.

The weight of the stuff in the packets is no more than a few grams.

I am talking about a couple of dozen kilogrammes for what was a fairly small sum.

A

alan outen

i have read somewhere about using a swim feeder for sea fishing ,would using a pva bag do the same sort of thing?.
a strange question i know but i keep thinking if i was to fill one up with fish guts from mackys it would give a nice scent trail.

J

jason fisher

there is one use for air in the bags if everyone is using tightly packed bags the fish can become a bit spooky near tight little balls of bait. once the fish have had a good look the bait gets spread out a bit.
to mimic this in shallow water 2 foot or less leave the air in the bag, the bag rips on impact and floats away leaving a light sprinkling of bait over a small area.
it worked for me on whelford pools a few years back.

M

michael brown

Ron,
both materials will always be known as PVA to industry,some prefer to call poly(vinyl alcohol)PVOH,while others may use PVAc to describe poly(vinyl acetate).
PVOH(for arguments sake) is widely used in paints and coatings,resin emulsions and adhesives, just as PVAc is.
In fact one is made from the other.
PVAc reacted with NaOH+methanol produces PVOH.Depending how much of the polymer is hydrolysed determines how soluble it is in water and at what temperature.Poly(vinyl acetate-co-vinyl alcohol) is what you'll find in some latex paints,which is both hydrophilic and hydrophobic at the same time !

If retailers just had the chemical name after the 'PVA' abbreviation on their products then you would have no confusion for the general public.

This thread should be re-named PVA-'The confuser of Joe Public'

(Try britishtraders.co.uk if you want to buy bulk PVOH rolls. 1000m x 200mm for ?87.40+VAT,but you will have to make your own bags with a heat sealer).

J

jason fisher

oh yeah i for got to add you need to lob cast with this method the bag can't have any forward momentum on impact.