Starter POLE advice

Stuart Graham

Reaction score
I am just about to go down the 'pole' route and was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice.

I don't know what pole to purchase !! I have a budget of a bout ?130 ish and have been looking at a couple of Browning poles.

1st pole is 11m and the elastic rating is to 14 = ?100

2nd pole is 10m and the elastic rating is to 20 = ?130

Both are the same weight can you give me the pros and cons or just recommend which pole I should go for.

I target silver fish but am looking for a good alround pole that will cope with the bigger fish as well.

Thanking you in advance.

Cheers

Stuart Graham

S

Shrek

Stuart, I would go for the longest and lightest pole I could afford. No 14 elastic is plenty when you are landing carp from commercial fisheries, if that's where you fish. I had 6lb carp no problem on that strength elastic.

What extras do the poles come with? This is something else you may want to consider. For example, how many top kits are provided, does it come with a free extension and so on.

See if the tackle shop would elasticate the top kits for you as part of the price as well.

Go haggle and good luck.

For what it's worth, I had a Maver Reality 13m pole with 2 top 3 kits. Now retails for under ?200 I think, but was nicely balanced.

Hope this helps.

S

Shrek

I've just had a look in the classifieds on this site and there is an unused Maver Grim Reaper pole up for sale at ?100. These are very good poles and will be more than adequate for your needs I think. Definitely worth a look Stuart.

R

Rasmus Keis

Just remember that balance are more important than weight - always try holding the pole in full lenght making sure it "feels right" before bying anything.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Stuart,

Despite all the manufacturer's claims, there is no such thing as a "good all round" pole!
Poles designed solely for silver fish will not handle Carp from a commercial puddle, and Carp poles are useless for silver fish.

For silver fish I think that weight and balance are the main criteria for a good pole, and it need not cost a fortune.

The advice above if good, test the pole out, at its' full length in the shop and get the "feel" of the balance particularly.

Extra top 3 or 4 kits are invaluable, make sure the pole you chose has at least 2 spares. Whenever you can get an extra one or two. Again, despite the claims of the manufacturers (and retail shops) they will not keep a stock of spare sections for very long. Accordingly, check out and keep a note, of the cost of replacement sections.

Look for good fitting sections preferrably with tapered ends.

Finally, when you have bought your pole, make sure you keep it clean, inside and out and it should last you for a long time.

Hope this helps.

MJ

Reaction score
I can recommend the Grim Reaper, excellent value for money... as is the Shimano Technium 12.5m.

I've got a 12.5m Maver Strongarm for sale if you want it. Must be one of the best-selling poles ever. It's good for beginners (I bought it as a spare and for teaching the kids with). It is pretty light and rated up to 16s elastic
It comes with 3 top 3s (pre-elasticated with No3s, No8s and No12s)
I'll accept ?90 for it (Cost ?240 brand new with the 3 tops). I've not used it much because it is my spare pole.
email me if you are interested.
juniors@warrington-anglers.org.uk

Martin

N

Nick King 2

middy do a reasonable pole called"the works"
i`m sure the package middy offers comes with a host of extras and i think the price is only ?120.....it might be worth a look at!!!ive seen them advertised in various fishing mags so you shouldnt have trouble finding one or give wednesbury angling cenytre a ring,they are middy dealers and a very friendly bunch they are too.i visited there last year with a friend and the quality and service was second to none....we even got a cup of tea before our journey home to northants.

Tony Nixon

Reaction score
STUART HI I HAVE POLE FISHED FOR ABOUT 6YEARS IWOULD GO FOR AROUND 100 MARK 11MTR TO SEE IF THAT IS WHAT YOU WANT TOO DO WITH ELASTIC RATING 16 GET YOUR POLE SORTED OUT THEN THINK ABOUT RIGS FOR SILVER FISH AND CARP RIGS EMAIL ME WHEN YOU WANT MORE INFO TONYNIXON66@HOTMAIL.COM

G

Geoff Cowen

Climax Fishing Tackle are doing the Leeda Assasin 11m Pole for ?63.99p and the 12.5m for ?93.99. I would go for the 11m as at 12.5m it is a bit heavy. Although you do get an extra to 4 kit Hit and Hold margin top with the 12.5m which might be worth getting.
Tel: 0870 499 0195.

Darren Wainwright

Reaction score
Just a quick question,

Can someone explain "Top 2, 3 ,4" kits? is it to do with the rating of how sensitive it is or how much strength it has?

cheers :)

B

Big Steve

Nither - it's how many sections are in the kit.

A lot of poles have power kits amd match kits. These describe the type of elastic they will take. Power are for the Carp and tend to be for >= 10 elastic, whilst the match are more for the silver fish tend to be for < 10 elastic.

B

Big Steve

Yup. But do make sure you look at the "power" and "match" as well. My pole has a long top 2 for the power set. This is actually the same length as the match top 3.

Easy :)

And I've just realised I put "nither" in my last post - obviously should have been neither.