Fishing in France

R

Ralph Abbott

Anyone know of any sites that have feedback on fisheries in France?

R

Ralph Abbott

Thanks, but was thinking more of consumer feedback and ones to avoid.

Websites look good but are easy to fake!

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Ralph, I've only been to a couple matey, if you want the real truth, try a differnet approach. What about, what are good and what are crap?

There's a wealth of french carp fishers on here.

B

Budgie Burgess

"What about, what are good and what are crap?"

First of all you need to define what is good and crap to the individual.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
You've missed my point Mr Budgie! The questions was: " Anyone know of any sites that have feedback on fisheries in France?"

My advice is to ask individuals on here regarding theoir 'good or crap' experiences as opposed to web sites!

B

Budgie Burgess

Your advice is sound Stu.Ralph will get a far better review of waters from people on here than he would on any site promoting waters.

What I was getting at is that an individuals opinion of wether a venue is good or bad depends greatly on wether that venue comes up to their expectations.

Anglers have very different expectations for various waters,some are totally unrealistic! Others are realistic but thwarted due to the fact that they have chosen the wrong venue.

IMO (based on the time I have spent in France and the numbers of anglers I have seen)the first thing Ralph needs to decide is what he actually wants from his trip ie-

The chance of a real big fish.

Bagging up on 20's and 30's.

Or anyone of a countless number of variations.If going in a group it is also important that all want the same!My point is that an angler who has fished a prolific water and returned home without catching a big fish but having caught a lot of 20's/30's etc will not be as complimentary about the venue as the angler who went there wanting to catch loads of fish of that size.Conversely the angler who went to a "big fish" venue wanting to catch loads would come away dissapointed.See what I mean? and this is without going into all the other variables!

Ive seen more people have a dissapointing trip due to this simple fact than any other.A great shame as the multitude of waters France has to offer can cater exactly to many different requirements.

R

Ralph Abbott

Thanks for that guys.

Budgie has good points.

Would like info on good 'runs' waters, have seen a lot of websites that have galleries with pictures of fish with snow on the ground etc.

Would be more honest of fisheries to have a gallery and a stocking page and not mix the two!

Still any ideas anyone??

C

Carp Angler

I think you need to do what most others do, select a couple of different venues based on the sales gab which look as though they are the kind of waters you are looking to fish and then ask on here, whether anyone has any experience of venue 'X' or 'Y'

Assess the feedback, compare it to the sales pitch and make your own opinion.

Further to what Budgie has said, even if 2 people, with the same goals, go to the same venue, if one has an absolute stormer of a week, then he will conveniently overlook any problems he had, where as the other, if he had an average week may well highlight those problems.

Case in point.....
4 of us shared a smallish lake the other year which had one decent swim on it.
The guy fishing that swim had a reasonably good week, including his first 40, he was ecstatic and wanted to rebook another week straight away.
The other 3 of us, who all caught reasonably well, thought that it was overpriced, massively understocked, not well kept or presented, was overly restrictive with 'on' and 'off' times and the accomodation was 10 miles from the lake who's on site 'diner' was more expensive than the UK and served poor quality, badly cooked food.

Take into account all feedback you get and make an assumption based on that.

M

Malcolm Bason

Some good points raised here!

I too went to a French venue last year labeled by some as a "runs water"! This was in May - too close to spawning! We were there for a week, and numerous fish were caught including a few 30's. Out of the 12 in our party, two blanked completely, two had one fish - I did ok with 8 carp and a mahoosive Sturgeon, but that was more on swim choice than anything else.

On reflection, I would not term it a runs water, but it is a beautiful venue with a decent host. But because i did ok, my perception is far better than those of others, who have stated quite categorically, that they would never, ever go back there! On the other hand I would!

C

Cakey

I went to the same runs water and there was 8 others we all caught loads and my son had a clonking great sturgeon and yes we would class it as a runs water.

M

Malcolm Bason

Thats the point exactly Cakey, we all perceive things differently.

I loved the place and will hopefully be going back there again sometime.

M

Malcolm Bason

I'm going to Belguim End of march instead!

Probably won't get back there until 2005 now! :eek:( Unless I can tag an extra trip on the end of this year??? Don't see why not - I've been earning loads of brownie points lately!