Is there a decent line out there I ask you?

Phil Thomas

Reaction score
I have been trying various different brands and types of line over the past few years, but I can not find one that I am really happy with? Needs to be strong including knot strenght, abrasive resistant, with only a little stretch, any suggestions for my next purchase?

B

Budgie Burgess

I presume you are talking mono? if so Maxima Chamelion.Used it for 25 years plus no problems.Even though I have used braid for the majority of my fishing for many years now I still use the Maxima for float fishing.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Shimano Catana and Dawai Duo are two I have found to do exactly what they say on the box!

D

Dave Slater

I have been quite impressed with Fox Soft Steel in strengths from 6lb to 15lb. For lighter lines I use Berkely XL for ledgering and Drennan Floatline for float fishing.

S

Sascha Welsch

Berkely Big Game in 10 - 15lb
Maxima in 4 - 8lb
Bayer Perlon in 2.6 and 3.2lb

S

Sascha Welsch

True. I've tried various others but always gone back to Big Game. Berkley Ironsilk was probably more the type of line you're looking for but I did have a couple of unexpected breakages and when testing the line found sections had gone brittle and broke miles below their knotted BS. Result -binned. Daiwa Sensor is about as good as it gets for performance v value for money but again has more stretch to it. Why do you want lack of stretch Phil?

A

andrew jackson

I love Diawa Sensor cheap as chips, and that means it can be replaced twice for the same price of many inferior lines. Not that it needs replacing sooner, but it is an option if you are realy line paraniod.

D

Dave Silvers

Over the last few years I've used Diawa Sensor, ESP(the light green one) and Fox Soft Steel in that order, can't say that anyone of them is better than the other ('cept the Diawa is half the price).

All of them curl when they've been on the reel a couple of weeks, anyone know of a line that doesn't curl, especially for floater fishing.

J

jason fisher

for abrasion resistance bar buster it's better than big game and it doesn't seem to curl on the spool, problem is it's a bit thicker than big game at 15lb

D

Dave Rothery

ok,

braid has a wonderfully low diameter, doesnt loop, and many brands float. it may have the disadvantage of not being stretchy, but with the correct choice of tackle it shouldnt be a problem.

happy?

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
you are always happy Dave! Its that Cakey I worry about! Seems to be a strange lately!

Phil Thomas

Reaction score
Cheers guys for the advice. I can not fish braid on most of the waters I go to so its not worth the investment. I think I will give the Berkley Big game a shot!

C

Carp Angler

I'd have to disagree and say that Big Game is one of the worst lines I've ever used.
Coily, springy and overly thick.
Same goes for ESP as well as being the worst line I've ever used for bad twisting.
Fox Soft Steel also twisted badly and seemed weak for it's strain and diameter.

I can't tell what I use, as I'm on braid, but I'm just about to spool up with 15lb mono, so I'll be taking a good look at what's about at the moment.