Professor Bumblebee

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Dear Prof.

Whilst your argument is well thought through and typically well presented, there is one simple criterion that you appear to have missed, namely, that of ?lan.

I mean, lets face it, any cack-handed wannabee can buy one of them new fangled fixed spool monstrosities and call hiself a angler, can?t he?

Whereas is takes a certain style, a panache, a degree of flamboyance and self assured confidence for a *real* angler to master and handle a centre pin, doesn?t it?

Nope, despite all your logical arguments, mark my words, them fixed spool reel thingies will never catch on, never in a million years!

:)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
PS.

If our centre pins are considered to be "fair game" then I am left to ponder what you will be popping-off at next?

Maybe it will be our Split Cane Rods, Deerstalker Hats, Barbour Jackets or our beloved Hunter Weilles?

You Sir, are a bounder!

D

Dave Slater

Peter,
Chuck them all in the bin where they belong. hehehe.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Dave,
You are right . . . all them modern fixed spool monstrosities belong in the bin :)

b.t.w. what is the Avon looking like at the moment?

J

John Pleasance

Avon is quite well up Peter but still only 46F.

I think Prof Bumblebee just needs a few more lessons in the art of using a centre pin.

I don't have half the problems he seems to,it's just down to practice Prof.

J

jason fisher

stick float in bush line wrapped roud abck of reel angler falling in river, that's about as good as i've got at a wallis cast so far

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Jason, if that is right then you are more than half way to a decent Wallis cast :)
Keep at it.

John,
When I was at home for the New Year the river looked to have a good level. I am surprised to see it is so cold though.
I will be back on the 15th. for a few days so I hope it gets a little warmer between now and then.

J

John Pleasance

It's only just come up after some heavy rain on Wednesday night,(approx)Peter.
It's been up and down like a yoyo recently both in levels and temperature.

I expect it to be lower again quite soon.

It just doesn't seem to be able to maintain any sort of decent level recently,presumably this is caused by the recent very dry summer and autumn.

Jason, you don't have to stick rigidly to a Wallis cast, just find what method suits you best. Try casting at home in the garden,it doesn't matter how far at first, just get the rhythm sorted out and the distance will come. Put extra weight on to practice with if it helps.

J

jason fisher

john
i can get as far as i need to with the nottingham/ sheffield casts, the problem is once i've seen some thing i usually want to have a go at it till i can at least competently do it hence i keep having a go at the wallis cast and no doubt it will continue to drive me barmy till i get it right then once i've got it i'll probably go back to doing the other 2 casts untill one day i want to annoy one of my mates who's catching more than me when i'll knock out a wallis cast while they are watching and then spend the rest of the afternoon catching while they try to master it.
he he