The Shortcomings

• Thread starter Ron Troversial Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron Troversial Clay

Prof Bumblebee puts the facts down in a nutshell.

Centrepins are lovely to use where you don't have to cast very far, for trotting on small streams and for posing.

However a modern fixed spool reel is far better for trotting the bigger rivers such as Trent, Severn or Hants Avon.

Sure you can learn the Wallis cast with the pin, but quote honestly, other than being able to say you can do it, it's hardly worth the trouble.

B

Birds Nest

Very honest of you Ron.... and Somthing I've thought for a long time...

And, No, I cant Wallis cast...

R

Ron Troversial Clay

And I can Wallis cast.

But with the fixed spool you can get the float back into position much quicker and when it comes to casting and trotting in a line down the other side of the river from a tight spot, it's much easier with the fixed spool.

What I do like the pin for is stret pegging under your own bank, or float fishing for tench under your rod tip.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

but you can do all that with a fixed spool ......

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Of course you can Eddie. But there are days when I love to go back to my youth and use the simplicity of the centerpin.

I grew up using one. In fact the first fixed spool reel I ever owned was bought for me by my Dad, an Intrepid, when I was about 14.

Mike Davey

Reaction score
The centerpin is a masterful device, engineered to perfection and held in esteem by all of its peers. Just try and use one on a windy day, blowing upstream or into your face. I use a Purist 2, for trotting of course, but also for Tench fishing in a lake with a quill and all that, Marvellous.

Thanks to John Wilson, Chris Yates and Bob James the centerpin is back with bite.

Just make sure the wind and rain aren't howling down your swim, cause it'll b3e back to the fixed spool.

Mike Davey

D

Dave Slater

Takes far too long to retieve the float when using a centrepin. I would rather use a closed face reel as the float is in the water more.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Although I trot a float with centrepin and fixed spool my favourite is a closed face as well.

Trouble is, as far as I know, there isn't a decent closed face reel on the market just now. Or does anyone know of one?

D

Dave Slater

I quite like my closed face reel Graham, Diawa 125M. It has an anti reverse and a clutch, unlike the Abu 506 I used to use where you could have one or the other.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I'll have a look at that one then Dave, ta.

My old one was an Abu, but I wore it out long ago.

S

Shrek

I had a 125m and found that the Pin Pick up didn't always withdraw when I pressed the release button. Also, I found it was quite a stretch for my finger to control the line, maybe I've got short fingers.

Anyway, I've now got an Abu 704 and prefer it more. It sits closer to the rod making line control easier. Initially I had problems with both pins not disengaging when the centre button was pressed but I overcame this by removing one of the pick up pins (I had to do this with the 1044 when I had one of those too).
I know it's got a drag/clutch facility but I don't use it prefering to backwind as I never go targetting big fish with it.

Don't know if that helps any.

Adrian.

A

Alan Cooper

You go your way folks and I'll go mine. As for long casting, well yes, a fixed spool makes life a lot easier as it does in nasty winds. But control of fish? Come on - on no account whatever is control better on a fixed spool - nothing remotely like as good as with a centrepin no matter fighting drags and what not.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Graham,

I have a pair of Daiwa 125M's and never had any problems with them. It is essential to keep them scrupulously clean on the inside though.
I am not sure if they are still made or if Daiwa have "upgraded" like they did with the old 1350's and totally ruined a hitherto decent design.

One trick with a closed face reel is to open the cover, rotate the handle and mark where the handle is in relation to the body when the spool is in the fully extended postiion. When casting make sure the handle is in that position and the resulting cast is far smoother and a lot more delicate.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Thanks Adrian, Peter and Dave, I'll have a look at them all and see which one suits me best.

Alan, each to his own mate, as you say, and although I enjoy fishing with a 'pin and can control good-sized fish with one, I do feel more comfortable with a closed face reel when trotting.

They've got to be more efficient or the river fishing match anglers would use a 'pin - you can guarantee that when there's money at stake. Even when they're catching good chub you don't see them using a 'pin.

Now, if you're going to base your argument on nostalgia, feel-good factor, pose element, and any number of aesthetic points, then you've got a good case.

But if a 'pin turns you on, that's argument enough for anybody.

R

Richard Drayson

I must admit that centrepins are harder to use than fixed-spool or closed face reels.
However, I gain more enjoyment when trotting with mine (an old Speedia).

Several posts mention the old Abu's.
Presumably, if all the spares are still available, it would be possible to put one together yourself?

R

Ron Troversial Clay

My local shop has several brand spanking new Diawa 125Ms in stock it can't sell.

Let me know if anyone want's one.

J

jason fisher

alan
how can control be better on a pin, you can't wind fast enough with them to keep in contact with many of the fish that i catch,
they have their uses in trotting as long as you aren't doing anything difficult like more than 2 rod lengths out and there's no appreciable adverse wind. outside either of these criteria there are much better tools for the job such as fixed spool or closed face.
i personnaly prefer fixed spool to closed face for the simple reason they are less prone to fouling and line bedding in.

J

John Pleasance

I use centre pins for the majority of my fishing, except for legering for chub in winter when I'll normally use a fixed spool but apart from that it's normally a pin and has been for 20 years or more.

Many times I've seen the argument put forward that you can't wind fast enough but I can honestly say I've never had a fish going faster than I could wind,at least not towards me.It's just never been a problem,and that includes carp, barbel, chub and tench.

Maybe there is something in the way different anglers play fish,personally I play fish quite hard and land all of them as quickly as possible,never let them get up a head of steam.

J

jason fisher

john
how far can you reallistically cast with the pin and what size of rivers do you fish.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Jason,
I have used my closed face reels for all of my mag and wag fishing for years and I can honestly say that in the last 5 years or so I've never suffered any problems from line bedding. Maybe this is due to advances in line manufacture, although I doubt it as I've used Maxima for eons.
My centrepins are used mainly on the Hampshire Avon (lower sections) and I can cast easily upto about 5 rod lengths out, which in most areas is more than enough given that the most productive areas are the near and far bank " creases"
My problem with fixed spool reels for trotting is that I don't have large hands and find the distance from rod handle to spool is just that little bit too far to fish one comfortably.

Some people say that they have problems with a 'pin in windy conditions. The easy solution to that is to fix an extra ring between the butt ring and the top of the cork handle. It you couple this to having the line coming off of the top of the 'pin you really reduce the problems of wind tangles even when casting. You don't even have to whip the extra ring as tape will suffice. It doesn't take any strain when playing a fish either.

I hope these tips help.