What’s your best bit of kit that you would hate to lose?

P

Phil Hackett

I was thinking the other night (dangerous I know) about what would peeve me the most if I lost it.
Now I’m a self-confessed grunp if I lose anything (a state of mind that comes with age I recon), a bivvy peg, a swivel carelessly dropped, all really bug me. If I lose anything larger a bank stick or such like, it really gets to me for days afterwards, and I’ll turn out the car, fishing cupboard and anywhere else I think it might be, to find it.

Whilst mussing the other night I came up with one item that would break my heart to lose and that was my threaded brolly spike. I’ve had this piece of kit for about 25 years, its outlived 5 brollies and been round the UK that many time I couldn’t count. Its witnessed impassively and metaphorically all my PBs, lost fish, friends now dead and countless other events in my angling journey over those years.

Its helped keep me dry, steadfastly anchored in the ground as hooligan wind and rain has ravaged some northern upland reservoir whilst piking or perching during the winter. Held fast whilst monsoon rain has hammered down on some Cheshire/Shropshire mere when breaming and tenching. Acted to support a brolly for shade when the sun is too hot to sit in. Its been a surrogate machete when beating down the vegetation to get to an unfished swim on many rivers I fish.

Yes it’s only a brolly spike I know, but for me it’s something that I am attached to greatly, it’s history my history, a piece of kit that’s always with me and to lose it………

So what’s your piece of kit like this?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
This one really got mr thinking Phil.

I have two pieces of kit that I'd be really upset at losing.

The first is a 6" blade that fits onto a bank stick used for clearing close in weed.
My father-in-law gave it to me a long time ago and it must be about 40 years old. It keeps its edge really well and was one of the many items he actually made himself.

The other is only about 10 years old but was given to me by a good friend. I don't know the name (its Italian) but it is a very thin needle on a plastic handle that is so useful for removing wind knots from fine hook lengths.

Just about everything else is easily replacable, but not these two items.

B

Budgie Burgess

I had a pair of curved garden scissors that came free on the cover of my ex wifes gardening magazine.They were the dogs for cutting line,braid and wire.Lost them when my waist coat was nicked on one of my early trips to Spain.Never been able to replace them.

L

Les Clark

For me it would have to be the tackle box,it would be easy to replace rod`s,reel`s,ect(money permitting)but the tackle box with all the bit`s and bob`s,some which were a good idea at the time,but have never been used,as taken year`s to accumulate,and thinking about it, I would`nt want to put a price on it,it could be quite a shock.

A

Andy Nellist

I deliberately try not to get sentimental aout any of my kit but I would be very annoyed if I were to loose my weigh sling that i've had for nearly 25 years.

G

goff dyer

Well Phill some might not consider this a item of tackle but it was to me, it was a tooth on my lower jaw that i always used for closing shot.
And when i lost it i was gutted, and i have nightmares using them stonflo pliers.

J

John Pleasance

OK. Don't laugh,but I'd be completely stuffed without my tapestry needles.

I said don't laugh,you b******s.

I use them for threading the line through rod rings and also for going through my home made, non-slip, but completely adjustable leger stops(no other way of doing it). Also handy for putting the line through float rubbers when they are still on the float and for unpicking wind knots in nylon.

They also stop the end of the line from flying away while you find the right hook,just poke the needle into the rod handle or anywhere else that takes your fancy.

W

William Spencer

my shimano aero 13 foot fast action match rod and power aero hs reel.the reel has been superceded but the rod has been discotinued for about 8 years.my wife bought it for me almost 10 years ago when some scumbag nicked my tackle.(have i had it that long?)(previous rod was a shakey glass fibre that i thought was the pups plums).
lovely rod to use,i landed my pb tench of 7 and a half pounds with it two years ago.
would be gutted if something happened to it.

W

William Spencer

i know you asked not to mention these phil but you did ask what i would most hate to lose.apart from those a set of floats that a guy i used to work with gave me.he passed away about 12 years ago,he had made the floats himself and whenever i go to bleasby woodyard regardless of conditions i use one of those floats.i use them elsewhere but bleasby is where bill hancock first took me when he gave me the floats.

J

jason fisher

i've thought long and hard about this and i've got to say it's me hands.
if i lost anything else i could keep on fishing but if my hands went i'd be knackered

B

Bill Cox

At the end of the day anything can be replaced .The most important items surely are your memories,memories of past success and failure. the thought of losing the ability to remember things like my boys first trip on the bank with me or the first carp i ever caught ,or the look on my other sons face when he hooked into a good size Gar fish and it jumped clear of the water( he was about 6 at the time and when we got it in he insisted it was a sword fish)these are the things i would hate to lose.

C

Cakey

I once lost me boilie needle which f***ed me right off ,had to pack up and go home .
I always carry 2 now.

T

The Monk

I lost my lighter once and was the only one of this particular water at ther time, I actually had to resort to light a fire through a spark and some tinder grass by using my SAS survival tool (good old Ray Mears), after pi***ing about for an hour I managed to light a fire, about an hour later I found me lighter!

C

Cakey

Wols lost his tossa ,I think I know where it is............................................................................................

J

john conway

As 25% of my fishing time is spent in the dark which accounts for 60% of my fish, it’s got to be my head lamp. But that’s probably not what you meant Phil, however, I don’t have any piece of gear that I couldn’t replace with something as good or better.