Travel With Fly Rods

fishingbum

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I've heard so many conflicting stories on what is and is not allowed when flying with a fly rod and flies. I know there is an the official TSA policy, but that it is not consistent in it's enforcement.

What has been the experience you've had in the past few months?
Thanks
Alan

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I think a lot depends on the airline and the route. On the internal flights I've flown in the USA in the last year with Alaska, Continental and Jet Blue, they all seem to be rather more relaxed than on the intercontinental flights where they are all very strict and by-the-book.
There is no universal answer other than get a big suitcase and a travel rod which will fit inside it - then you are fairly safe. On a trip to spain last month, Ryanair wouldn't even let us have a reel with line inside our carry-ons, we had to detach the spools and put them in the hold. I even had a flybox taken from me soon after 9/11. As if I could hi-jack a plane with a handful of buzzers. Huh!:mad:

Windy

Reaction score
I don't think it matters which airline now, if its hand luggage / inside the passenger compartment of the aircraft then rods, reels with line on and anything sharp, no matter how ridiculously small like a size 22 gnat, its banned.

I used to get away with my seven piece Hardy Smuggler in a piece of hand luggage but no more. If you want to carry a rod then it needs either a rod tube to keep it safe or to be a multi piece rod suitable to go inside a suitcase. The aforementioned Smuggler + a four piece Fulling Mill ten footer, and two reels with two spools each do for me in a large-ish suitcase. The FM just goes on the diagonal at the bottom of the case, the smuggler anywhere you like !

I don't think the airlines have any discretion or room to manouevre about these matters now, the rules is the rules, their insurers insist and that is that.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Most major airlines will allow reels in your carry-on bag, but not rods or flies.

The 'cheapie' airlines will insist on you using your hold baggage for virtually everything, and at their reduced weight alowances. This is nothing at all to do with 'safety' and everything to do with maximising their profits!

The best advice is above from Geoff; use a large suitaces and put everything in there, but, check the airline insurance conditions and your own travel insurance too. If insufficient then you can take out a separate policy to cover fishing tackle individually.

dezza

Reaction score
Most of my fly rods are 4 piece, that means they fit diagonally into my Revelation suitcase - no problems. If you carry flies, put some napthalene crystals amongst them, then you can convince any petty minded official that they are dead.

Yes, some people can be that stupid!