sounding out for an end of season on the thames

J

jason fisher

i've fished a stretch of the thames through the autumn and had some good results from it, it only has 5 pegs fishable. i am a member of the club which holds the rights for the far bank and might be able to talk them into giving day ticket access for one weekend especially as i never see anyone fishing it on that bank.
i've had chub to 6-2 averaging over 5lb, one 12 lb barble, perch to 4-2, roach to 2lb+ bream to 7-8 and pike to 19lb all from this stretch.
i'll send a couple of photos of the stretch in to fm then graham could make them available to anyone who wants to see them if he likes.
then if anyone is interested in fishing it in the last weekend of the season or the one before 6-7 or 13-14 march please let me know.

Jason's Thames' Pictures

J

jason fisher

just thought i ought to add it's about 7 miles from oxford, the thames is quite a long river isn't it.

J

jason fisher

so no one fancies coming then not even if we go for a pint in the fleur de lys after wards, thats the pub with the specimen fish in it.

J

jason fisher

i don't think theyl bite very well cakey theyre already stuffed.

D

Dave Slater

I may be interested Jason, I like to fish different places. I will have to see what I am doing a bit nearer the time.

J

jason fisher

ooh interested people my main reason for doing this is so i can meet a few people from the site, didn't take any photos today for 2 reasons,
i forgot th camera being the main one, but it's also about 18 inches up.

B

Bill Eborn

Maybe Jason.

I'd like to get away for a couple of days fishing before the end of the season. If the long range forecasts are to be believed the back end could be very good too.

If my detective work is correct as well as the Thames, there is also another smaller river to fish with a day ticket available from the Fleur De Lys, am I right?

If I am, I would quite fancy a trip up that river too as a little upstream from there was the place I caught my first ever proper chub back in the winter of 1978/9 (soppy old sod!).

Would you be able to recommend any cheap B&Bs around there?

J

jason fisher

i'm investigating the b&b part at the moment as i'm not sure what accomodation is like round here. what was the river you were thinking of.
i know of a short free stretch of a small river that has some good chub and barbel plus roach perch and the odd wild brown trout in it about 15 minutes away from here,
the problem is it's not long enough to get more than about 10 people on.

B

Bill Eborn

Sorry Jason I wasn't sure how public you wanted to make the locality, hence the cryptic bit. The smaller river was the Thame by the way.

J

jason fisher

i've never fished the thame and don't really know anything about it so your one up on me there.
i do know the windrush though and its got the biggest chub i've ever seen in it.

B

Bill Eborn

Mmm maybe my geographical detective work isn't as good as I thought Jason. I did a search on Fleur De Lys on Yell.com and came up with Dorchester?

I fancy the Windrush too mind you.

J

jason fisher

you got the right place bill the bit of river is between clifton hampden and long whittenham, the fleur de lys is in east hagborne

B

Bill Eborn

Jason
I'll get back in touch before the last weekend to let you know if I can make it up or not. In the meantime if you can identify any cheap B&Bs I would be grateful. I do like my Chub fishing on smaller rivers but it would be interesting to try for some chub on a larger one for a change. I'm restricted to public transport and a pushbike at the moment and unfortunately transporting bikes on trains isn't as easy as it should be. Big fish are one thing but the Thames has got a special place in my heart, i spent my first seventeen years living at either end of it and learnt to fish in the tidal, so it would great to renew the acquaintance.

Cheers

Bill

J

jason fisher

if you can get to didcot bill, it has a train station i'll provide the transport from there,

i've also managed to sort out the day tickets they're ?5 per day,

accomodation is proving a little more difficult, there's not much round here and the only reasonably priced one i could find is on holiday so they're closed then.

J

jason fisher

13th 14th it is then david as you are the first person who has shown a preference you get the choice.

J

jason fisher

right then update time.

i actually managed to get a photo of the stretch today and i've emailed it in to graham,
the bit we'll be fishing is the bank on the right hand side of the photo the green one.

the view is from the swim that i usually fish so all the fish i mentioned came out of that bit of water on the top right of the photo too.
i'm still enquiring about accomodation the cheepest is about 30 quid per night but limited availability.

Jason