How do you classify

• Thread starter Ron Troversial Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron Troversial Clay

At my age, I take great pleasure in the persuit of what I call a wild fish. OK, sometimes I do fish for rainbow trout which are not an indigenous fish, but they are enjoyable to catch on the fly.

However for me, the untimate capture, is a true wild fish.

Here's my definition of a wild British fish.

1: It must be British and have evolved here.

2: Because that many British still waters are artificially stocked with fish, it is in rivers where I tend to think you find a true wild fish.

3: It must not be a hybrid of any kind.

4: It must have reached it's size by feeding on natural food.

5: It must be bred of the water from which it was taken.

6: It must not be a carp. Carp are the result of Man's genetic experimentation to find an ideal freshwater food fish.

It's a pity that genetic manipulations are more popular as angling fish than our true wild species.

And I often wonder which direction some people, in this great sport of ours, want to take us?

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Did you ever fish the Cheshire Meres Ron .......I think the bream and tench in them were covered by your criteria

D

Dave Rothery

It's a pity that genetic manipulations are more popular as angling fish than our true wild species.

Not going on about Jordan again??

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Eddie,

I never had the joy of fishing the Cheshire Meres. If you remember, it took a great deal of effort from outsiders like myself to get permission to fish them.

Yet there is no doubt they were, pehaps still are, some of Englands greatest stllwaters if you want to catch big wild coarse fish.

I have read many times of Graham and yourself's exploits in sorting out the natural big bream of these waters. They were some of the greatest exploits in big fish history,

The very nearest I have ever had to catching wild still water fish in these islands were the lakes of Ireland.

There, we fished for rudd, bream and although not truly indigenous, big tench.

It was a marvellous experience, casting a line for fish that had never seen a hook before.

Do the Cheshire Meres have carp in them? I hope not. If they do, some of England's greatest wild still waters will have been horribly polluted.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Jordan?

Nothing more than a blow up doll that has been superimposed on a living human skeleton!!

D

Dave Rothery

not heard of mangrove, erehwon, birch, etcetc. marvellously polluted, full of lunking great carp. marvellous.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Get back to Devon Dave and fish for some proper fish. There's plenty there you know.

SEATROUT and MULLET and BROWN TROUT.

Lovely.

B

Bill Eborn

I'm with you Ron.

Incidentally, down here its worth targeting the Tench on some sections of river. They aren't anything like as big as gravel pit Tench of course - the record for Henfield and District stretch of the Adur is about six and three quarters - but they are beautiful dark fish living in a river reclaimed from marshland.

So where do Barbel on the Severn, Wye, Avon and Stour stand, after all they aren't indigenous are they?

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I once caught a small conger, about 8 lbs from the rocks near Porthleven.

It bit me.

Later that evening my mum cooked it and I bit it.

Very good eating. My Grandad loved them.

E

Dave
Birch Grove, Mangrove(Fenemere), Erehwon(Nowhere spelt backwards -also Fenemere I believe)and Berth pool and that group of 'meres' are actually in Shropshire ..as are the Ellesmere group
The true cheshire meres are

Baddiley Mere
Bar Mere
BLake Mere
Chapel Mere
Comber Mere
Deer Park Mere
Hanmer Mere
Marbury Big Mere
Norbury Big Mere
Norbury Little Mere
Oss Mere
Quoisley Big Mere
Rostherne Mere
Tabley Mere
Tatton Mere
Hatch Mere
Little Budworth Pool
HatchMere
Nuns Mere
and a few more and some smaller ones I cant remember

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Bill,

English barbel belong to all rivers flowing easterly, particularly to the Yorkshire rivers, the Trent and the Thames and all their tributaries.

The Hants Avon and Dorset Stour were perhaps the first rivers to be stocked with barbel by man, from a batch taken from the Thames in the latter part of the 19th century. The Severn was stocked by Angling Times in the 50s. Subseqeuntly the fish migrated to the Teme.

The rest of our rivers have been stocked artificially by various agencies during thew past 40 years.

E

and yes Ron they have put carp into a lot of them