Back Biting.

D

Davy North

I picked up a copy of "Pike & Predators" yesterday and suddenly remembered why I stopped getting it in the first place. In the letters page Gord Burton was lashing back at Nev Fickling for something he'd said about him (again).

I can't stand all this back biting, and it's not just from the two mentioned.
I've been fishing long enough to remeber the carry on between Ivan Marks and **** Walker in the AT in the 70's, and alway thought it was very tongue in cheek. I've only been pike fishing for a few years and thought Gord and Nev were in the same vein, but now I,m not sure.

These two are giants in the world of predator fishing, and I,ve enjoyed books, articles, and video's from both. This back biting, if real just brings them down to the gutter, as it does with all the others who lower themselves to that level.

I know Mr Burton is well up on the internet, I know he has a web site. No doubt Mr Fickling is as well. If either of you come across this, would you kindly like to tell us mere mortals what you're playing at!

What do other people think?

P

Paul Williams

Davy,
They have both caught a lot of fish and they have both courted publicity so they are well known, but to me to be a giant in the angling world means a lot more.
There does indeed seem to be a lot of backbiting and controvesy in the pike world at the moment and pike and predators does seem to allow it to fester a little too much at times, shame really because some of the writers have a lot more to offer.
P+P web site is stopping much of the rubbish on there so perhaps the same will happen to the mag.....perhaps you should write and express your view.....you pays your money so you are entitled to one.

A

Andy Doughty

It’s just like being back in the playground! Nev has my respect as piker, but seems to want to have the last word in every squabble he gets himself into. He is obviously an intelligent man who is capable of running a successful tackle shop etc... So why does he feel the need to bite back? (It will be interesting to see if my name appears in P+P!) But if you got the hassle he gets, and had the means to reply, would you?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
The arguments between **** Walker and Ivan Marks, and **** and the other match bloke who's name escapes me for the moment, were not only tongue in cheek but actually put-up jobs.

R

Ron Clay

Both Ivan Marks and **** Walker were the very best of friends. However Walker loved an arguement and if Ivan agreed, as he did, they decided to have a go on the pages of AT.
Remember that controversy sells newspapers and gets people talking.

That could be just what is happening between NF and GB.

R

Rob Brownfield

Hey Ron...and also between yourself and myself...although I see you agreed with me in the Carp section..lol..what's the world comming too..hehe

R

Ron Clay

What a boring world it would be if we all agreed with each other all the time.

Healthy debate is the spice of life!!

Gord Burton is really a great character. I have known him personally since Eric Hodson introduced me to him in '94

R

Rob Brownfield

He is nuts...a danger to mankind, should be banned for being too loud!!..lol

D

dave shepherd

What great fun and good reading this is.I have not read this latest debate as I've lost touch with the debating scene of late but I remember many years ago reading similar things in the angling mags of the 70s it was great fun and Nev was involved in many of them and upsetting alot of people.It sold mags the first thing we read was the letters page and then looked forward to the next months issue.It should'nt be taken to seriously as some people get wound up to easily and at the end of the day angling is all about enjoying the outdoors and being at one with nature .tight lines

graeme bull

Reaction score
i recently fished windermere with gord burton and found found him to be a real top bloke...he could not helpme enough and i learned more about presenting a bait and choosing a rig in 12 hrs than i have in the previous 12 mths..also bagged 5 pike to 23 lbs...wow the man really is a step ahead of the pack.

T

trev matthews (100M bronze)

i beg to differ !

actually i agree with you all

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Nev and Gordie meet up at various angling do's and are a job to prise apart!/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

By that I mean they would chat for hours and hours, I'm sure they like IM & DW have a lot of respect for each other?

blankety blank

Reaction score
Iused to subscribe to Pike and Predators but eventually refused to renew my subscription. I was fed up with the constant sniping in there. This was around the time of the Blithfield controversy. It all got so repititious and boring, and the mag seemed to forget that it had a general readership to talk to, and not just these "names".

Also,I thought that if i read yet another article about lure fishing from Mr Kelbrick I would scream.

G

Gary Knowles

No-one takes the 'feuds' seriously, it just makes me laugh...

Mr Kelbrick doesnt write for P&P....its Coarse Fisherman

Blithfield was 7-8 years ago...

You need to move on guys...

blankety blank

Reaction score
7 or 8 years ago would be about right. mr k certainly wrote for them then. Since then I've bought the odd issue on a whim, but have never been tempted to subscribe again. Perhaps these "feuds", whether contrived or not, are supposed to pass for wit, but they don't do anything for me.

C

Chris Bishop

Who cares, just enjoy your fishing.

Some of these controversial characters are seriously nice people in real life.

Mr Marrs has a good Gord Burton story. I'll let him tell it.