Kryston Silkworm....with spade end hooks?

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
This is just a'I wonder if' sort of question.........

I use the above Silkworm for all my eyed hooks/knotless knot etc but not with Spade ends simply because I have no idea what sort of knot would be suitable....in addition I'm not even sure if its possible as no such knot is shown in the booklet that comes with the spool.

In my tackle shop Silkworm is sold down to 4lb BS(maybe its available below this?) which is very fine and being very silky in texture it seems(on the face of it)that it MIGHT be suitable for spade ends of(say)sizes 10/12/14 or so..
I'm talking small red worms laying on/lift method for tench/roach with a hook length of(say)10/20cm....but thats a guess!

I'd welcome any comment or opinion even if its"are you having a laugh"........!!

I've a feeling Messrs Wintle/Woody/Jacobs might make an offering on this?

Bluenose

Reaction score
If I remember rightly the bumf with silkworm gives the best knots to use and doesn't mention spade ends!

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
You can tie spade ends to braid with a hook tyer, or if you are very nimble fingered by hand, but for lift method etc, I can't really see any advantage over mono.

Cakey

Reaction score
Id rather my braid sit up against the round of an eye than the sharp edge of a spade

Morespiders

Reaction score
DEFINATLEY KNOT Tee Cee, dont do it eyed hooks only, no braid goes well with spade ends

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Point taken!

....its just that these thougths come into my head on the river bank(lake bank!)......and thats the whole point about FM-instant answers from people who know!!

I'm doing three days this week and mono will be my choice...

Thanks anyway!