lead discharging

A

Andy Bird

iv'e just read in one of the monthlys that team korda ,whilst fishing a carp match ,deliberatly lost the lead [4.5 oz i think] on every take they had from both carp and bream .during this match they had over 47 carp , i think this equates to over ten pounds of lead being left in the swim. i personally feel this is extremely stupid and could be detromental to the wellbeing of the lake. surely rigs can be adapted so that the lead only falls off if the fish goes through a weedbed ,snag etc. OR Are team korda encouraging this so there lead sales go up. Intrested to here your views.

D

Dave Rothery

HERE

doctored to fall off too easy (lucky that danny's "wedged"!), but then if they kept snagging fish they'd get criticised. they get criticised for fishing if they felt the swim was too snaggy. must be hell at the top! maybe should have used stones as weights, but how many people, hand on heart, would?

J

John Lee

It was my understanding that lead clips were specifically designed to fall off when a fish snagged or weeded itself. I do think it irresponible for someone to deliberately doctor their clips to lose their leads on a water where they get this many runs when the fish are not snagged or weeded. On somewhere like Yately I could understand it where you might get a run a season but 47 fish in one session ? Can you imagine what the water would be like if everybody followed suit ? I don't think the fish would last very long. We would probably end up back in the situation we found ourselves in with discarded lead shot. Also, I don't know about you, but I could never afford to lose that amount of tackle on a regular basis. Sorry Danny but I think you are setting a very bad example.

B

Budgie Burgess

We had this or similar a short time ago.Aint modern carping great eh? Yep god forbid you dont put some Klinik on the hook hole but you aint a pukka carper unless you dump your leads in the lake.Sounds like a great way of boosting sales though.Please ,please come on here and justify this one I would love to see it.

Mike Davey

Reaction score
Hallaghans field on the Shannon near Athlone, massive bream, even bigger snag. My mate lost 23 feeders in a morning, and still landed 12 bream to 7lb.

In such cases can't the carp men take Bob James's idea of using pepples and super glue, rather than lead. I know the density is not the same but its enviromental.

B

Budgie Burgess

Dave,I wouldnt mind betting a lot of guys have never even owned that many!!!

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
"please come on here and justify this one I would love to see it"

Budgie, as you knowmate, this will be deemed far too commercially sensitive to be discussed on here!

D

Dave Rothery

it was defended on the fw site by a friend.

personally i think the lead poisining thing is a bit of a red herring, as we arent talking about "sealed" waters, theres a constant thru-put of water, but it would concentrate in silt - its something the anti's will pickup on though.

its the commercial aspect that i think sucks...

D

Dave Rothery

people who own companies that recommend a certain aspect of rig design that guarantees an item is lost that that company sells. ok its arguably for the right reasons, but should they lose the lead on bream takes???

its a bit like the old "put at least 5kg of bait a week in, guaranteed success" chestnut, when 20 baits in the right spot would be better.

J

jason fisher

got to agree with dave here,
if the clip works and drops the lead when it's snagged. why do you need to doctor it to drop the lead when it's not snagged except to get people to buy more leads.

F

Frothey

i put my name to it, and it was sent to korda. all we got was a "we're not talking to you any more". thanks for that korda!

L

Les Clark

That`s show biz Dave,at least you have had your answer,you where right in the first place!

J

jason fisher

well i read the first 9 pages of that argument roto and got bored. i could understand every thing that everyone said except for klewless, i not only found the pieces of his argument that i could understand unsupportable, but much of the what he wrote was just plain unintelligable.

he really did appear to fit his nickname very well.

R

roto fryer 1

the sad thing is that despite his name klewless is a very good angler, however, he is a bit close to the source of our angst!

F

Frothey

you can "kind of" see his argument on hard waters. to hook 5 fish a year and your doing well, so losing 5 leads on CARP takes isnt too bad.

but then 20 anglers = 100 leads@3oz = 19lb lead

they've been fished for 30+years =570lb lead!!

in one very hard lake. multiply it up for an easy one....

F

Frothey

its not the klewless's that matter with these clips, its the people that read the mags and get the impression that you have to have the lead fall off on the take and leave loads of leads that matter.

isnt it funny that we never really used to have a problem with fish weeding themselves before the clip came along, and they still seem to weed themselves even when using them....

J

jason fisher

the clips no use when a good fish is weeded any way it's the 40lb of weed that takes the moving not the 3oz lead,
it's when the fish gets among branches and roots that the clip comes into it's own,
it drops the lead so you don't get the problem of stuck lead acting as a pivot point that your never going to shift unless your really lucky.

it's the people that don't know much that worry me, the next thing we know every 15 year old kid will be filling in their local lake with leads and after 10 years the features we will be fishing to will be made of lead.