Power Bait

J

John Hepworth

During the past year listening to the local angling programme on the radio, Power Bait has been responsible for taking an awful lot of trout on the water where bait fishing is allowed. I am just wondering if any coarse anglers have used it at all. I have never even seen the stuff let alone used it

A

Andy Nellist

John, is that the Berkely stuff ?

Producing a lot of Trout wouldn't seem to be much of a recommendation :eek:)

J

John Hepworth

Don't know whom markets/produces the stuff Andy; it’s just that the guys who do the game reports on local BBC radio all rave about it. Mind you, one actually said on air that out of season trout caught on maggot can give good sport, so it’s probably not much of a recommendation.

senan ensko

Reaction score
Power Bait is made by Berkely. I've seen it on sale in shops but only have ever seen it used when I was in Finland over the summer. To all intents and purposes it seems to be a form of paste, but very spongy in texture, and it smells vile. It's available in various multi coloured varieties.
The Finns fished it for trout as follows. To a fixed leger set up they tie a small treble hook, anything from size 12 -18. They then mould a piece of the Powerbait around the treble. Cast out & stick rod butt in the ground, beachcaster style. Then go of for a hour or two (I kid you not). Come back and see if anything is on the end of the line. The idea is that the trout swallows the bait and treble into its stomach so it's as good as dead. The Finns kill everything they catch.

kevin bell

Reaction score
power bait works for me corn.bloodworm the last time i had to bye corn in a tin was two years ago.tench.bream.carp.all like the stuff in are lakes plus grayling from river itchen so its a thumbs up fome me tight lines to all

martin close

Reaction score
Yes john i use it quite a bit down in Oz. it's made by an american firm called Berkley. The ones i use are primarily aimed at the trout market and come in either paste or nugget form. The only problem i have experienced is that the baits do partly dissolve and so become difficult to handle on the hook, they do give off an odour and quite an oily residue. I have started using their powerbait series, which come in either corn, maggot or worm types, appropiately coloured and scented they have caught me a couple of good roach and perch so far, being a bit tougher than the real thing they do deter the small pickers somewhat. Best tactic with the worm is to trot them and use the current to impart a bit of life into the bait.