Chub in Oxford

Mike Davey

Reaction score
Does anybody know how the Thames above Oxford is fishing, particularly chub. I was thinking of a venture to the stretch up stream of the Medley, above godstow lock. Its near the Trout Inn, good food and ale if the fishings off.

J

jason fisher

dave i've been on it for weeks the chub went to sleep at the end of november and aint been seen since,
the other problem is the waters freezing and the levels up and down like a yoyo, it's gone up and back down by 2 foot in a week, if you can drop on a day when it's low the fish are feeding. like today for instance.
The sluice by the side of the trout was white water with peaks 2 feet high yesterday and i didn't get a bite in about 5 hours.

i caught one pike today and removed 6 leeches from around it's gills which suggests all the fishing will be very hard.

D

David Will

I was catching up till Christmas , good fish too bit none since New Year , strangely Barbel fishing has been OK.

J

John Hepworth

I'm being cynical here, but up and down 2ft in a week, I should be so lucky. My local river, the Wear, can come up 10ft overnight and be down again in 48 hours, as I'm sure many other spate rivers do. I do appreciate your problems though, its now months since my river was anything like stable. When it is at normal winter level it usually coincides with very heavy overnight frosts. Roll on the 15th March then I will have a legitimate reason for not fishing. The springtime, a time of rejuvenation - including me, I hope!
How is the Cherwell fishing these days? I have not visited the river for some years now. Out of all the southern rivers I have fished, I much prefer the Cherwell. Although the upper Gt Ouse has bigger fish it doesn't have the same appeal as the Cherwell for me. Probably because it was the first southern river I ever fished.

J

jason fisher

the problem is john that 2 foot is the difference between holding bottom with a 1oz lead and a failing with a 4oz lead when i'm piking.

i've only fished the cherwell round banbury an that was 8 years back, the windrush is looking lovely though.

J

jason fisher

i'm just hoping it doesn't flood more than that. when we have the fish in, if it does the island i'm planning to fish on will be under water as will the tow path to get there, the other thing with floods john is a change in levels of 10 foot would see about 90% of oxfordshire underwater, there's not much land more than about 6 foot above river level here.

D

Dave Slater

I like the Cherwell as well John. I must try and fish it next season as I haven't for a few years now. Lovely little river. I will put it forward for one of the fish in's at the AGM. Perhaps you would like to second it. Bill and I are just coming up for breakfast and the meeting on Sunday.

J

John Hepworth

Breakfast and the meeting Dave. Thats probably All I could manage this year but its a hell of a way just for egg and bacon.
Unless I can get Nigel to drive I doubt whether I can make the journey, trouble is he's too wrapped up in that bloody football team.