Barbel - Severn or W. Avon

G

Gary Wilson

I am looking to do a spot of Barbel fishing next week. Shall I go to a dodgy stretch of the Warwickshire Avon, or try the better River Severn? Only problem is that I don't know any day ticket stretches of Severn within 50 miles of B'ham! Help please fellas!

T

Terry Comerford

Dudley AS Bewdley.
Stan Lewis's Bewdley.
Lyttleton AA Stourport.
Quarry & County Ground Shrewsbury.
Telford AA Buildwas.
Dawley AS Ironbridge.
Brewery Inn Coalport.
Holt Fleet Worcester.
Email me for details.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Alan Stevens has got a nice stretch of the Avon at Hillboro and I know for a fact there are barbel there, don't know to what size though. Theres also Harvington where theres three day ticket waters with barbel in all of them, Twyford farm is day ticket and also has barbel in the high pegs.

Dave Smith

Reaction score
Is it because of the Price though Graham? or is it because no one wants to fish the rivers anymore? theres lods of "carp puddles" in the area that BAA operate now...Personally I think the ?26 for a card is well worth the money, I love the rivers - never been any good - but love them nontheless!!

W

Wolfman Woody

?4 per day is still cheap if the fishing is good and if I lived in or around Birmingham I'd certainly have a BAA ticket, no mistake.

J

jason fisher

you could always have a go on the lakes orund here afterall they're only ?8 to ?18 a day.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

do they give you a free rod for that as well .?

C

Carp Angler

search back thru the news archives on here for some stonking barbel catches that all came from day ticket stretches of the Severn.
I was a member of the BAA and I lived in Southampton.
Well worth the money, as Jason says, ?26 will get you a day and a halfs fishing down south, if that. (?20 for 24hrs mostly)

J

jason fisher

i can get the abingdon and oxford anglers alliance ticket for 30 quid per year, there's thames, cherwell, thame and a couple of lakes in that too.
if you want to go on orchid lakes/ dorchester lagoon it's ?20 for 24 hours.
guess which i fish.
an average lake day ticket pastie carp an stuff you're looking at 8 quid a day.
so as rick says 26 quid a year for all that water and all those fish it's a bargain.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I think I might have created the wrong impression with my comment about ?4 day tickets for the BAA stretches. Firstly, it was said tongue in cheek but I tend to forget that the printed word isn't always the meaning you want to convey. Secondly, I think that a BAA card is probably the best value for money anywhere in the UK. As a pensioner I can fish some prime waters on the Severn and all it costs me is ?13 a year and being an out and out river man that takes some beating.

J

jason fisher

ah i seee!
13 quids even better though. oh well maybe if i get a job in that direction i'll start my investigation of those waters.

J

jason fisher

rumours of interviews in newport wales, didn't get the devon job they gave it to someone internally.
but they are taking more on in a couple of months probably and i'm front runner for one of them apparently.
the good thing is i'm getting interviews now.
i wasn't getting any before. interviews either.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

good luck .... hope you get the one you want -- Hope the vacancy isnt for a 'fish netter'