Carp Mags

C

Carp Angler

As people don't see to care much about our single species organisation, do any of us actually read any of the single species magazines?

Carp Talk
Carpworld
Advanced Carp Fishing
Total Carp
Catchmore Carp
Big Carp
Crafty Carper

Does anyone read any of these?
Are they all still in existence?
Have more appeared?

D

Dave Rothery

wife occasionaly buys carpworld for me, like twice a year!

same old articles, different people, dont want to pay ?4+ for an advertising leaflet! at least carpworld has the "hearn/hutchinson tape" type series every now and then.

i suppose part of the problem is htat theres (virtually) nothing new in fishing - all of the stuff i write to some extent is stuff you would have read somewhere else before. after a year or so, you will have read most of what the magazines have to offer, you then have to start thinking for yourself. its of more use to a beginner/learner as they havent read it before.
thats the advantage of sites like these, river anglers reading carp articles, carp anglers reading match type articles, we learn from eachother where we wouldn't buy a chub mag (for example)

L

Les Clark

Still get carpworld each month,Dave`s right about it being rehashed but now and again it throw`s up something new,or different angle,it`s worth ?4+ for that.

C

Carp Angler

'Advanced' The magazine for the serious carper.
That's what the advetsing blurb says Dave.

I know what you mean about the articles, that's why I try to write mine with a very different slant.
Information type articles can only be written one way really, but other types are more individualistic and I try to put my own mark on them, some probably miss the mark by a mile, but hopefully the occasional one hits home.

D

Dave Rothery

paul selman says he had some stuff turned down as it was "too advanced!"

S

Stuart Johnson

I don' buy the 'carp' mags on a regular basis, I might get 1 or 2 a year, not to read about carp fishing but to try and gleam as much info as possible that I can apply to other species. The carp lads have developed a lot of things that I have found to be excellent that can be used as was designed or adapted to suit my stlye of fishing.

Carpy, any chance of more of your articles here on FM? as I have always found them well wrritten, informative and easly understood.

Lewis Duffy

Reaction score
I get total carp regulary and find some good articles in it but mostly dont go for the carp mags buy AT and IYCF instead.

C

Carp Angler

Hi Stu,

There may be something in the pipeline at the moment involving a couple of us, will keep you all posted, as we may need some topics or questions to cover.

Lewis,
why Total Carp and not the others, or are they all the same?
Just curious.....

M

michael rouse

iv got advanced carp fishing subscription but may look for another type of fishing like predator or coarse.ACF is for serious anglers and have loads of new methods.the main reason i subscribed was for the 40quids worth of sbs bait you get.

C

Carp Angler

"ACF is for serious anglers and have loads of new methods"

Oh right, best subscribe then.......

S

Sascha Welsch

In that case I'll get right on the phone....

Rik/Dave,
the problem is is that there isn't a magazine nowadays that teaches anything to the more experienced but then would you expect them to? I would have thought that anything you learn is through talking to mates and experience but then you already ARE experienced.

For the starter to carp fishing there are points that can be picked up in all those mags that will help them understand and hopefully allow them to experiment and learn themselves.

I appreciate that there are better ways to gain that knowledge such as the web, books, other anglers etc but amongst the ads and some of the crap that is written (and re-written!!)a beginner can, and should, be able to pick out something to use.

C

Carp Angler

but what are they trying to teach them?

Undoubtably, there is bound to be the occasional bit of sound advice in amongst it all, but all the other senseless dross and blatant plugs will get absorbed as well and will we end up with another generation of wannabee, expectant instants?

I think the mags cater to the whims of the instants, giving them the latest rig, bait and info on the latest pastie water that they think makes all the difference.
You see how long they last on here, when you try and impart real advice that we all know to be the truth, things like simplicity, time, experience and watercraft.

D

Dave Slater

Rik,
I have bought one or two carp magazines on occasions. I don't buy them now as it is difficult to find something to read in between the advertisments. Probably a good idea to buy one of these mags if you want to buy some carp tackle as they are just a catalogue with a few articles in beween the ads.

Oscar The Grouch

Reaction score
I used to read alot of magazines but have given up on alot of them because its difficult to relate some articles to your fishing. I think alot of the writers forget that the average anglers only get limited amounts of time fishing and have limited funds to buy bait and tackle. I much prefer articles that you can compare yourself to rather than Carpworlds obsession with places like Lake Raduta which 95% of the readers are never likely to go!
Whats the point?
I give more respect to an angler that catches a 25lb from his local pond.
I used to enjoy Jim Gibbinsons articles, they were more "realistic"

S

Sascha Welsch

But isn't that the way of the world now Rik? The instant carp, pike or whatever specci hunter? Lets face it, the availability of decent tackle, bait and big fish twinned with the seemingly never ending spending power of the modern kid leads to the production of those instants. They just don't want to learn anymore because success to a certain degree can be bought far quicker.

Would a magazine that preached those "real" things you mentioned sell? I would really hope so, yet probably not to the instants out there. They crave those secret rigs and the wonder bait. I still see numerous posts on this and other forums asking "what do you think of soandso bait?" - makes me despair.There's no thought of its application or even in trying, they want success without the trial and error.

I think the instants see the likes of Nick Helleur catching big fish on his stick mixes and assume that those exact recipes will transform their fishing (latest Advanced CF by the way) yet there is no thought as to its application, make-up and reason and I really don't think there ever will be.

I believe the best way to learn is to be taught by someone who knows what they are doing (hats off by the way Dave for your teach-in)but even then the pupil has to learn to think for themselves. You contributed (Rik) to a long running thread a while ago in which another poster (sorry can't remember who)was making up his own bait and wanted advice. That was one of the best carp posts I've ever read on here because the poster was willing to learn, go away and experiment and come back with his findings and above all the info given to him was good.

D

Dave Rothery

if you ask will about the last "fish-in", i "taught" him hardly anything (no suprise there!)- just gave him information and let him draw his own conclusions. which is how i learnt...

S

Sascha Welsch

That's just what I was getting at. I learnt by watching, being asked what I thought and why (ie drawing my own conclusions) before being told and why. It helped me to think about my fishing.

But at the same time I read absolutely anything I could get hold of and took whatever I could from it.

Nowadays that learning process is still going on, listening, watching, experimenting, reading etc etc