Skimmer, Vinders

DAN SECOSAN

Reaction score
I'm working for a fishing book in Romania.
First, I would like to thank to Mr. Trev Richards, Eddie Bibby and Ron Clay for the answers about "Sheffield" method.
Second, I ask your help concerning 2 english fish names: what's mean "skimmer" and "vinder"? I believe
that the best way is giving me the latin name, to find it in my ichthyology books. Or synonyms.
Thank you. Dan.

J

John Pleasance

"Skimmer" is a slang name for a small bream, [L. Abramis brama].

Don't know about vinder,do you mean Vendace?

DAN SECOSAN

Reaction score
Thank you, John.
No, I mean vinders. If you take a look on www.angling-news.co.uk, Mr. Clive Branson, in his Float Encyclopedia, talking about the Stepped Waggler, write about the World Ch. in 1989, in Bulgaria: "...over 28 lb of carp, roach, bream and vinders."
And, please, what's mean "Do not feather the line when casting..."? (on the same site,at the Straight Peacock Waggler page).

J

jason fisher

do not feather the line means allow the float to go straight to the water, instead of how people usually cast, where shortly before the float lands on the water you put your finger close to the lip of the spool, the line then flicks the end of your finger and causes it to slow down this also helps avoid tangles.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Dan

I've never heard of vinders ....

Feathering the line is using your finger to slow the line coming off your reel spool when you cast out by just gently 'dabbing' your finger against the spool edge as the line runs over it ... a bit hard to explain in words ...

It helps to keep a tighter line to your float or leger and preventing a 'bow of line to form between your rod and the float/leger.

P

Phil Hackett 2

Dan
I can find no reference to the fish you state in any of the books I've got. I wonder whether it’s a miss-pronunciation by the author or those who passed it on to him?

The nearest I can find that could have been miss-pronounced is a fish called Vimba (Vimba vimba), which is distributed throughout central Europe. UK matchmen have a nickname for every species of fish they catch and are notorious for using them. These nickname also change very often. E.g., Pastie - it means small carp of about a pound .5 Kg. The reason they give it its name, is that it looks like a Cornish Pastie, which is a type of a long pie, filled with meat, potatoes, onions, etc.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
There's something called a zahrte (with an umlaut over the "a") whose scientific name is Vimba vimba. It looks like a (big - up to 2 lb.) dace with a slightly bulbous nose and underslung mouth. Could this be it?

Enda Hickey

Reaction score
The fish that Clive was talking about catching in Bulgaria is a Vimba as Phil has mentioned above.
I was at the same venue a few years back at the World Club Championships and only saw one Vimba caught on match days and a Welsh angler had it too, Clive Roberts.
It looks like long bream with the head of a barbel.
When Clive Branson fished the Plovdiv rowing course it was a World Championship and Tommy Pickering won it individually with Wales winning the team event.
The venue is a 3km long rowing course which is about 150m wide, it is drained every year and restocked.
Last year the World CLubs was on there again and the Italian Trabucco team won catching mainly small carp and carrassios.

DAN SECOSAN

Reaction score
Thank you, Enda.
Are available in England a book about the history of angling World Champs., or something?