Go with the flow

C

Cakey

Im going to fish a local river for the 30lb plus carp.
The bottom is full of muck and a bit of weed.
There is quite a flow on this river.
My question is will a normal pop up work in a fast flowing river where the pop up could be at a 45 degree angle ??

W

William Spencer

if the water flow is pretty strong i should imagine that the pop-up would be fractionally off the bottom.the current would want to force the bait downstream.to achieve the 45 degree angle you are looking for you might have to play with the length of your rig,or,daft as it seems you say there is a lot of flow would a bottom boilie work?maybe the flow would keep it off bottom,but not popped up as a pop up would.
does that make sense?

M

Malcolm Bason

"Ok....have you got the isbn number please?"

Published by Crowood at ?19.95, the ISBN reference is 1-86126-378-3

R

roto fryer 1

cakehole look for slack water and start from there as where the water is slack food gets deposited there. think chub and go from there

jp

Reaction score
Cakey, if you still live in Hertfordshire where the hell is the river with a strong flow on it?

C

Carp Angler

Cakey

Barbel anglers use bottom baits and seem to catch ok.
Fish a boilie with a wrap of paste if you're worried about the hook being masked.

jp

Reaction score
" if you still live in Hertfordshire where the hell is the river with a strong flow on it?

Thinking about it now you probably don't want to answer that, but I can't think of anywhere in Herts that has enough flow to cause you any big problems.

Crust fished off the bottom a couple of inches always worked well enough for chub and the occasional carp in the Lea,Lea Relief Channel,Rib,Beane,Mimram, not fished the Stort but there can't be many more.

D

Dave Silvers

Cakey - Neil used to post on here, find an old thread and email him.
I don't think he's half as scarey as he looks.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Neils a good bloke, you'll find him mostly on RMC, i got his number if you want it Cakey and i'm sure the mighty bearded one wouldn't mind.

If the river like you say has a good flow i would imagine the bottom is now pretty clear of any rubbish anyhow. Try luncheon meat for them too, a light bait that's not going to bury itself in the silt/weed. Even if it does, they will root it out.

Neil Wayte 2

Reaction score
Finally got here Warren and thanks for the tip off.Had to reregister.
Cakey fishing with pop ups in running water works.Also the water speed on the surface is much quicker than that on the bottom,something to do with friction I believe.
I have caught fish on pop ups on a flooded Hampshire Avon which if you know the river means it's belting through.
If your worried about the muck on the bottom then bait the swim with vitalin and particles.Once the carp have found the bait they will do the rest for you by creating the clear area by feeding on the spot regularly.Just keep baiting regularly and they will associate the spot as a food source and will return regularly.

Hope that helps and if you want to know anything else just send me an email.

Dave you still wouldn't want to see me first thing in the morning.UUURRRGGGHHH

J

jason fisher

cakey,
loads of maize, loads of pellets, all in ground bait,
you don't need popups for river fish,
and pm me if you want any more info on river carpin, i have done a bit in the past but only on very big rivers by british standards i.e. trent and thames.

C

Cakey

Right here goes
William ... Im not trying to get a 45 degree angle,thats what Im getting in the flow.
Malcom ... thanks for the number Ive ordered a copy online.
Roto ... where I have found feeding fish there is no slack water close by.
JP ... I live on the Herts Essex Middlesex borders.
Rik ... nice one I'll give that a go.
Dave ...he is scarey ,I saw him at Sandown.
Wol ... Youve seen the place with me, when I found the fish the water was crystal clear and I could see all the sh*t on the bottom,went and had a quick look Friday and the water has coloured to a redddy mud so I could not see nothing.
Neil ...thanks for your help ,bit worried about vitalin....seen it rotting untouched on a lake (France not here though).
Jason ... Ive fished rivers before including the Thames,Grand Union,Stort and the mighty Seine but it was not until I fished here that I noticed the angle of my hook.

J

jason fisher

cakey
thought you probably had, you've done more carping than me but i just thought i'd offer incase you hadn't.
i've probably done more carping on rivers than lakes to be honest.
you are getting that angle every where in flowing water.

everyone does, what is worrying you about it,
is it that it is not sitting at the height above the bottom that you want it, in which case the solution is a bit of trig to calculate the length you need to get it that high.
assuming that the flow is truly laminar none turbulent, of constant velocity and the buoyancy of the bait does not change with time.
if any of these conditions change you will get a bait that flaps up and down in the water.

W

William Spencer

sorry matey.didn't seem to read that bit in your thread,wether you're at 45 degree or trying to achieve it.

B

Budgie Burgess

Cakey, I would go with Neil and the Vitalin.If you know/have seen the carp feeding in thev swim there shouldnt be a problem.

D

Dave Silvers

Cakey - just cos he's a 6'10" cross between a heavy metal band member and an Hells Angel it don't make him scarey.

.....................On second thoughts maybe it does.