flourocarbon hooklength materials

J

jason fisher

hello chaps

i was just wondering if anyone knows if flouorocarbon goes brittle in the cold,

i was fishing a 2lb hooklength after roach today and the first bite that i got the hooklength just parted as i lifted the rod. it was a big bite too.
i later landed 2 other fish to about 12 oz but they gave much less pull on the tip. so i can only presume it was a bigger fish,
the hooklength was about 12 inches.
any thought would be apreciated.

F

Frothey

most flouro's are quite brittle anyway - they have very little stretch. wouldnt have thought the temp would make that much different (water temps relatively stable)

W

William Spencer

what make of line are you using?
i tried middy's 2 and a half lb hooklength and this snapped when i tried to lift a bag of sugar.does sound like you had a good bite from a bigger fish.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Be very careful of the make of fluorocarbon you are using. There are many brands on the market that have given the product a bad name.

We have been down this road before. All I would say is buy the very best. Good fluoro is truly excellent and you will have very little problems with it.

Fluorocarbon line is made from Polyvinylidene Fluoride (PVDF), a polymer that should not change with temperature or contact with water. It also has good knot strength.

The best I have found is Sightfree, Drennan, Uncle Jacks and Stren which is also sold under the name Seaguar.

Excellent stuff.

J

jason fisher

it was drennan 2lb polemaster hook length material, i've never had a problem with it before but that one parted with hardly any resistance and it was very cold about 1 degree at the time.

jp

Reaction score
"the first bite that i got the hooklength just parted"

7lb chub have a habit of doing that with 2lb hooklengths.

J

jason fisher

cheers john
but your not going to wind me up, the bite wasn't that big it looked like a good big roach bite to be honest.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

It might have been that pike you netted for your mate...

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Tha most likely nicked 'ook length wi t'shot lad.

J

jason fisher

no shot on it ron i was feeder fishing.
i'm wondering wether i got a bite off.
bite differentiation was a bit difficult because the wind was bouncing the tip about and the flow still has quite a lot of rubbish in it.

The bite was a very quick pull round about an inch then the tip settled back to normal position, it then pulled round about 8 inches about 10 seconds later, that's when i struck but didn't feel anything, the hook had gone.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Nipped by the pharyngeals--very painful..

William Burns

Reaction score
I have just bought the Polemaster Fluoro Carbon 4lb Hooklength,I wish to use it for fly fishing at Llyn Brenig as I thought it wouldbe ideal for dry fly or would yousay I'vemade a bad choice guys.I also bought the WorcestershireX2(6lb) & X3(5lb) knotless tapered leaders for nymphes etc.