Scottish grayling

R

Rod MacAskill

I am thinking of having a couple of days up in the borders region of Scotland to try and catch a big grayling. Can anybody suggest any day ticket stretches to try on rivers such as The Annan?

R

Ron Troversial Clay

It's many years since I fished the Annan.

There are day tickets stretches available, mainly I think from Hotels where you have to stay to get permission.

The problem with many Scottish rivers is that grayling are still classified as rubbish fish by the Scots. I've never been able to understand why.

J

John Hepworth 3

Although I don't venture that far north, friends who do fish the border rivers for grayling are very secretive about the locations - blood out of a stone springs to mind

R

Rod MacAskill

You are right, John, regarding 'blood out of a stone'. I am not wishing to cash in on somebody's previous success but simply looking for a starting point. I agree with you also, Ron,as many of the guide books regarding fishing in Scotland only seem to concentrate on game fish and there is little mention of the grayling (despite it possessing the all important adipose fin). Having spent several years fishing the Yorkshire rivers,the Derbyshire Derwent and (in the past) the Driffield Canal I thought that I would venture further in my quest for a sizeable specimen.

J

jason fisher

rod
you might try Kiwi Carper on a private message, he did a lot of fishing in scotland and might know a bit of info on grayling.
i think he posted on the winter roach thread.

D

Dave Slater

Rod,
You could try Duncan Kellett on a private message. I believe he runs the Grayling Society up there.

G

Gary Knowles 2

Rod,

I know somewhere but you need to stay in the accommadation if you are to fish the river. Send me a private mail if your interested.

Cheers

Gary

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I have just read about the River Teviot in the Mag - "Today's Flyfishing".

There is day ticket fishing available on this river near Jedburgh tel: 01835 863019 for ?5. Apparently the grayling are big - up to over 3 lbs.

It lookas like the river is fly only but I could be wrong. Mind you that shouldn't stop you. Grayling take small fancy flies and nymphs ver well.

D

Duncan Kellett

Rod,

When are you thinking of coming up? Do you want to fish the Borders i.e. the Tweed system or the SW Scotland, Rivers Annan & Nith.
Contact me via pm and I'll give you some info.

Hi John – we’re not that secret squirrelly however a few mistakes on publicity in the past has turned the named area into Piccadilly circus - weird that there is a grayling circus - so the guys who fish it regularly don't publicise.

Duncan

Colin North 2

Reaction score
Not far from the Annan and Lochmaben, and I don't know if they are still available on a day ticket, the Water of Ae and The Kinnel Water. They converge near the Forrest of Ae

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I fished them all in the 60s. What lovely memories.