shimano spinning reels

M

michael rouse

ages ago, i was thinking of upgrading my ancient match reel to a spinning reel.i was looking at the shimano stradic FA reel but the price put me off. i have just found on american website a shimano spirex spinning reel which is almost identical to the stradic(only the name).

Has anyone ever bought American shimano reels and has anyone found them better?

D

Deecy

Same reels just cheaper.
Plenty of nice reels out there (Okuma for example) without the need for silly prices or aggro in purchasing from abroad.

J

jason fisher

the american versions are usually a different colour and some times a different name, thats the only differences.

M

michael rouse

i bought an okuma match reel for saltwater lure fishing and it was dreadful.The bail arm was loose and wobbly.if casting biglures(heavy weights) the bail arm would cling back into place resulting in crackoffs on expensive lures.

J

jason fisher

i've got an okuma epix bait runner that the runner doesnt engage every time you move the lever, it wobbles, the line snags on the bail arm and the bail arm periodically flicks back over on the cast.

so far it's done about 30 hours lure fishing.

martin close

Reaction score
I use Shimano reels pretty often down here but normally only their budget models, they are just as good as the expensive one's. Have you thought of going for some of the local brands like Browning or Shakespeare, i see them in the coarse mag's and they seem popular?.

J

jason fisher

buy em if you can.

the wobbles gone now on the okuma, which is interesting. but some of the paint has chipped off the handle. and it's still annoying that when you wind the top swivel on the spinning trace right up to the top eye then open the bail arm the line catches on it by the roler.

R

Ross Turner

i would buy them,its just that i have no need for them as i only fly fish.

J

jason fisher

not much use to you then, but for anyone thats not an invetorate fluff flinger then i'd recomend em.