Boilies/Groundbait Out Of Cat Munchies?

A Wayne

Reaction score
Upon feeding my Cat yesturday I opened it's Box of dried cat food i.e. the dry biscuity kind. They smell really meaty and was wondering if I could grind 'em up and make a Groundbait or Boilie paste out of them in the summer? How would you go about doing this(If possible)?

F

Frothey

the "origional" boilies were made out of them.....so yes!
grind 6oz of them up, add 3oz semolina and 3oz soya to 4 eggs.

J

jason fisher

you can make it a bit more complicated if you like by putting flavours in em.

J

jason fisher

it's not
1lb high fat soya powder ?1.50 tops even from a health food store.
1lb semolina tesco's about ?1.20
box cat biscuits couple of quid at most.
plus eggs.

that works out at a couple of quid per kilo of base mix.

B

Budgie Burgess

You can make a great floater cake out of ground up cat biscuits too.

D

Dave Slater

Last used these about 25 years ago as boilees. 5oz pilchard flavoured munchies, 3oz casein, 2oz bemax, 4 eggs. Used to work very well.

P

Phil Hackett 2

“the "origional" boilies were made out of them.....so yes!”

Sorry Dave the original boilies were made from PYM, Philips Yeast Mixture, by Fred Wilton in the very early 1970s. Somewhere I have Fred’s article that appeared in Angling Magazine in 1973. The article was entitled something like “I wish my baits had remained secret.” I was also told that this article had appeared in a previous BCSG mag about twelve months before.

F

Frothey

?the "origional" boilies were made out of them.....so yes!?

skinned catfood baits were around in the sixties - didnt gerry savage (rip) popularise them? wilton later started the hnv thing...

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Gerry Savage (RIP) did indeed use catfood baits, as did a few others, but he had great results with sausage meat. Wilton was the first to start using milk products to create HNV pastes, he was also using flavourings and stated that if you could smell the flavouring there was too much in it. At the time theese pastes were high protein (65 - 70%) and cost the earth.

B

Budgie Burgess

Phill,I dont see how you can say that.PYM was just one of the bird food additives that was used as an ingrediant in early boilies along with the likes of Robin Red and Sluis.Cat meat firmed up with ground cat biscuits made into a paste then "skinned" was certainly on the scene before any of the milk protein baits.I find it quite amusing how the bait scene has developed.A lot of the "new" ingrediants/flavourings are a lot older than a lot would think.Also a lot of the great baits of today were used many years ago but wrote off as crap by many of the days experts! Two good examples being Tiger Nuts,once described by Rod Hutchinson as the poor follow on to Peanuts and Trout Pellet in Rob Maylins opinion best left to the trout! I bet they cringe when they read some of the things they have wrote!
On the subject of Fred Wilton and HNV/HP baits,I once spoke to the man and he told me that he often wondered wether his theories were right or wether it was just that carp liked the taste of milk proteins!

B

Budgie Burgess

Oh BTW,I have read quite a few times on various sites people saying that it is cheaper to buy your baits!I can only presume this is based on people buying and using top of the range milk protien ingrediants.Not needed and if you think that is what the commercial ready mades use then you are seriously deluding yourself!

F

Frothey

PREMIER'S Matrix - 30kilo rolled bait for ?150.....hard to make a bait with a fair amount of glm in it yourself for ?5/kilo without buying tonnes! thats before you've bought eggs, rolled it, etcetc

P

Phil Hackett 2

Dave from memory (and yes I was around then and fishing for carp, I stopped about 78.), GS did use Kitty Kat as a paste I don't remember him ever writing anything about skinning them, or for that matter, using eggs in his mix. He may well have done but he certainly wasn’t writing about it at the time in the popular press. I accept that Wilton’s did advance into HNV baits using Milk proteins but he’d been messing about with bait ingredients for a long time before that, many of which were pastes. This is substantiated by the article, which I’ve just re-read, and I got the Title spot on. Not bad for something I read 29 years ago. The Article appeared in Angling, June 1974, and cost Thirty pence.

The article opens with – “I find it regrettable that in a Guide to Winter Angling, Gerry Savage should choose to disclose a number of the ingredients named in the article for the BSCG Magazine (1973). He goes on to point out that he’d asked in a letter to Angling that they weren’t published. Clearly there was a spat between the two of them in mid 1973. Further to this, he points out, he’d been fishing PYM since 1967 as a paste.
No mention of boilies, adding eggs or skinning the paste anywhere in the article.

SO YOU COULD BE RIGHT IN WHAT YOU WROTE.
Eric Hodgson would have known when boilies (not rocks but skinned) first came on the scene, as I’m pretty certain he was the Secretary of the BCSG at that time. Sadly Eric now has a very debilitating age related illness and probably wouldn’t remember these days.

What I will say is, by the time myself and a mate, who was and still is a BCSG member, started fishing PYM in late1973, we fished it as skinned boilies, which we boiled for 1.5 mins.

Fred goes on to point out that in Nov. 1967 he started fishing with GS using PYM paste and between them they took 72 carp from Sutton during the winter. He then lists catches he, Bob Morris and other took at Sutton on PYM paste.

Bugie PYM was the smell attractor not just an ingredient. Once smelt never, ever forgotten……..absolutely repulsive! Fred writes, …… “these baits only work because they are new to the water, yet we find that HNV baits that smell of PYM were catching last season six years after their initial introduction to the water.”

I was always under the impression that PYM was made from spent yeast from the brewing industry, and given to aviary birds to bring them and the feathers into prime condition. Wherever it came from, it took most of the waters in the NW that had carp in them (and there weren’t that many at the time) apart! Most being stocked form about 73-5 onward. As for other bird foods they followed granted, but only after Wilton had lifted the curtain on PYM and the potential of them.

Anybody wanting a personal copy of this article in JPEG File e-mail me.

PS can you still buy this repulsive suff?

B

Budgie Burgess

Pym along with the other bird food additives are still available (Robin Red disapeared for a short while) and still make very good baits.A lot of my early fish were caught on both PYM pastes and boillies.I no longer experiment/develop new baits any more I just rotate the ones I have used! A lot of waters no longer contain fish which have seen the old baits so they work just as well a second time around.In fact even better when used with new rigs etc.

Just out of interest,a lot of the baits I use now are a lot simpler than the ones I used in the late 70's early 80's.I now very rarely use expensive milk proteins.A friend of mine runs a sucsessful bait company and none of their baits contain any,relying on the bulk ingrediant to provide the protein value,eggs as the sole binder and strong flavourings.Far simpler than the complicated baits I used but just as effective.