The Alternative Angler

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
This week?s Alternative Angler reminded me of a thing me and my mate Dave have going for a laugh. A certain range of rods came out (not for long I don?t think) that included an ?upstream? version and a ?downstream? version. We?d have conversations that went something like:

?Hey up, you ?ad anythin? yet??

?Nope.?

?I?m not bloody surprised, I?ve just seen you cast downstream with your upstream rod, how the hell do you expect to catch anything doing soft tricks like that??

And similar daft exchanges.

So come on, let?s hear your accounts of similar stuff.

T

The Godfather

Guess I will have to describe myself as a big blanker in future Kev. Very amusing article again, keep 'em coming.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

It reminds me of the time "Uptide Rods" were sold.

For many forms of sea fishing and when you are in persuit of big freswater fish such as cats or Vundu, these rods are ideal.

There is a tendency to "canonise" various styles of fishing. When I came back to England in '94, I noticed that nymph fishing in rain fed rivers using a shortish leader with a fairly heavy point fly had become the thing, and was call "Czech Nymphing".

We had been doing this for years in SA without ever thinking of canonising it with an name.

The yanks are the best at canonisation I believe.

J

John Lock

I'm reporting my local tackle shop to the EU Commission. They sold me some Pinkies but when I looked there wasn't one single little finger in the box, just some wriggly things. To add insult to injury, all of the Arlesey Bombs they sold me were duds and their so-called catapult was barely big enough to fire a hamster. I'll 'ave the bastards, you mark my words.

B

Barry (Baz) Fleming

An E.A. Licence gives you the right to own a rod and line. But not the right to fish.

B

Barry (Baz) Fleming

And how about block end feeders, these have a screw or clip on cap to keep your bait in. But the crafty bloody tackle dealers drill holes in the sides so all your maggots escape anyway, and you have to go back and buy more. (Bloody rip off merchants)
I?m going to tape all mine up. They must fink wer?e fick or sumfin.

J

jason fisher

and presumably you can use match rods to light fires, possibly indicating that in the future they will have to be supplied in cardboard boxes with one side being sand paper in batches of 50 or so.

and the box sizes for swan vestas will have to be drastically increased to include the compulsory swan.

presumably also nymph fishermen will have to prove that they are actually using a minor femail mythical deity from calsical mythology as bait or are trying to catch one.

B

Barry (Baz) Fleming

Now I think about it these tackle dealers have got a lot of questions to answer to.
They sell us dry flies, for trout, but they catch other species as well.
Also when I retrieve a dry fly it always comes back wet.
These modern day Robin Hoods have been having us over for years.
AND ANOTHER THING!! They sell us landing nets that all the water pours out of when we lift it up because it?s full of holes. THE MORE I THINK ABOUT IT THE MADDER IT MAKES ME FEEL!!!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Match rods are called so because they are not used for match fishing!!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I gets very confusing to a beginners when fly fishermen start talking about dry wets and wet dries.

It's the same thing with computers. There is terminology you have to learn that is extremly mystifying at first. But when you do learn it, it's quite simple. Why don't they use the simple terms in the first place?

This is done of course to protect the industry and the jobs in it.

In angling, **** Walker was the champion at eliminating all the bullshit. He used to get a lot of the fly fishermans backs up by explaining in simple words what was really happening.

He was once accused of taking the mystique and "magic" out of fly fishing.

However I sense that a lot of the bullshit has come back. Maybe to make certain people sound a darned sight cleverer than they actually are.

B

Barry (Baz) Fleming

Every year during the closed season the angling weeklies are still showing us how to catch fish. Something must be done to stop these double standards.
BRING BACK THE CAT.

S

si

i went fly fishing the other day for the first time and the LAST it cost me ?259 in groundbait. 300 bloody butchers ,250 buzzers, and 150 pheasant tailed nymphs and you know what i didnt catch one FLY