Fishing in France

Seamus Rickard

Reaction score
I am going to France in the spring on a cycling and fishing holiday. Do I need a license to coarse fish in France. Does this change from region to region. Any help will be gratefuly accepted.

C

Carp Angler

found this for you

"For fishing on the public waters you will need your ?Carte de P?che?. These can be purchased in the bars, tabacs or tackle shops near to your chosen water. Again if you use our tours this will be arranged for you. You will pay for the National fiscal stamp at around 150-200 francs, valid for the whole of France for one year starting in January, and the local ?department? regional stamp 100-150 francs. If you change regions during your trip or you return to fish later in the year in another region, the National stamp will still be valid, so don?t pay it twice. You will only need to buy the regional one. During the summer months you can get a ?Carte de Vacances? which is cheaper but only valid for the holiday period.

You may be asked to pay extra for some waters which are controlled by local clubs and fishing associations (AAPP). This is particularly the case if they allow night fishing on the water. The local tackle shop will be able to help. All this will set you back around ?50."

C

Cakey

It is worth getting the national stamp,we once fish a lake one half in one region and the other half in another so two local stamps were needed to fish the whole lake.

B

Bill Eborn

Cakey, Seamus
The French have got a great system if you are planning more than one trip a year to more than Department. There are two organisations "L'Entente Halieutique Du Grand Ouest (EHGO)" and "Le Club Halietique Interdepartmental".

If your Carte de Peche is for any of the departments which are members of these organisations (most of the centre and the south) if you subsequently visit any of the other departments you only have to pay an extra 16 euros and you can fish in any of the other departments.

All of this is constructed on the basis of associatons between local angling clubs, so there are exceptions - in the Orne for example, "Les Pecheurs de la Coudre" are not signatories and there are also local reciprocal arrangments which can apply.

C

Carl Madigan

basically walk into the nearest tackle shop and ask for a permis pour pecher stress that you want une carte de vacance which covers you for 2 weeks. The departments are quite big and the permit I got the other summer allowed me to fish 3/4 of the country. Never heard of the national ticket and neither of the shops I went in mentioned it. ?50 sounds very steep, I paid nothing like it. Do try to speak french as not that many people speak or want to speak english. Get a phrase book and have a go. If you were thinking of getting maggots over there think again! they sell you 50 in a pot and they are half dead. You can't import cooked meats into the country so buy your luncheon meat over there. Don't be surprised if when you put a fish back people come and ask you what you're doing. The standard response is "Je peche sportif" and they go away shaking their heads.

C

Cakey

Then theres the night fishing (which seems to be getting better) which if you get wrong will get all your tackle and in some circumstances your car confiscated

C

Cakey

Once fished a park lake just outside Paris with no night fishing,the garde a la peche came round once an hour through the night to make sure we was not fishing.