Death Of A Legend

R

Ron Clay

This is indeed a sad day for me. Although I never met him I felt I knew him almost intimately. He had a way with words. He could describe a days fishing is such a way that you could smell the bankside herbage and hear the cooing of the pidgeons in the trees.

Bernard was the last of the great anglers of the 20th century, along with Walker, Stone, Bazley and JW Martin.

Bernard will never be forgotten.

M

Mike Harrison

A sad day for angling and all true anglers.
Certainly 'Mr Crabtree'inspired me and my friends in the 50's to take up fishing. I have always tried to live up to his philosophy of respecting your adversary(the fish) and your surroundings.I am sure that he would have been disappointed at the actions of some of todays anglers who seem to delight in leaving their swims looking like a municipal landfill site, giving us all a bad name.
R.I.P Mr. Crabtree.

W

Wayne Biggin

Another great angler is fishing in celestial waters. I bet everyone who's ever read "Mr Crabtree" can remember at least one picture from the series. My favourite was the one of a pike attacking a shoal of small roach, it certainly fired my imagination, and still does. Thank goodness there are still some good angling writers to carry forward the message of the joys and pleasures that fishing brings.

M

MARK FRAME

how many more are we gonna lose
it seem s to be all the legends are going how many of the forefathers are left
RIP V.B
STONEY WALKER AND THE REST HOW MUCH KNOWLEDGE IS LEFT TO ANGLING PIONEERS NOT IMMOTATORS

R

Ron Clay

Credit to Angling Times. A lovely tribute to Bernard appears today.

Reda it, I think you will enjoy it.

R

Ron Clay

From bouquets to brickbats, have you seen the tiny comment made by Anglers Mail regarding Bernard Venables death?

We are talking here about on of the greatest British anglers who has ever lived. I man who was a true pioneer of angling journalism! A man who made more people want to go fishing than any other! A man who gave so much... Only gets two column inches. I find this quite appalling.

I will never buy another copy of AM as long as I live

B

Birds Nest

Ron you beat me to it !! I was going to comment on the same thing, one thought though I wonder if AM has to be printed earlier ? Just a thought, although it does look very bad on them.

R

Ron Clay

I still find it hard to beleive that Angler's Mail should be so callous. Sure, Bernard was one of the founders of Angling Times, yet in all probabilty Angler's Mail would have not come about if there never had been an Angling Times.
And there were many other things that he did that were not connected to Angling Times.

I am appalled the attitude by Angler's Mail!

R

Richard Drayson

Very sad news indeed to hear of Bernard`s death.
I didn`t bother buying the Angler`s mail today but, as Ron said earlier, the Angling Times carried a nice tribute to a truly great man.
I grew up reading `Mr Crabtree` and remember seeing one of his angling programmes on the BBC way back in the 60`s.
I`m currently trying to contact the BBC to see if I can get a copy (on video tape) of the series that Bernard did for them entitled "Angler`s Corner". I`ll let you know if I have any success.
To a great angler and gentleman - Dear Lord, please take care of this gentle soul.

R

Ron Clay

I know I might get accused of nit picking again but in the tribute to Bernard by Angling Times you will note a classic error. Matt Hayes says that he used to get AT to read the Crabtree Strip.

Mr. Crabtree goes Fishing never appeared in AT. The copywrite to Crabtree was held by The Daily Mirror. The Strip in AT was acually called Mr. Cherry and Jim.

D

Davy North

Giving the AM the benefit of the doubt, maybe they go to press earlier than the AT, and didn't have time to do anything bigger. I'll with hold my judgment until next week!?!

R

Ron Clay

Somehow I don't go along with that. AM is like any newpaper. AT certainly got their fingers out. Why didn't AM?
We shall certainly find out next week, but I wouldn't hold your breath

A

Alan Roe

Consider this scenario:
'Following a meeting between the editors of the two major weekly angling papers it was decided that the Angling Times would take the strong lead in paying tribute to the late Bernard Venables.
This was deemed as the most appropriate approach as he was one of the founders of the paper'

Whilst this may or may not have been the case it would explain a good deal of the apparent mismatch in coverage.........Just a thought

R

Richard Drayson

Further to my earlier message posted on the 26th.
Despite having contacted the BBC in London and searching through the British Film Institute website, I can find no record of any of Bernard Venables` fishing programmes. I will endeavour to find out more shortly. Wouldn`t it be a shame if the programmes were lost forever?

R

Ron Clay

I somehow can't visualise Emap talking to IPC.
They are deadly competitors.

I would also love to see those TV programmes that BV did. I was living in Africa at the time. I hope your investigations bear fruit Richard

R

Richard Drayson

Ron Clay said "I would also love to see those TV programmes that BV did. I was living in Africa at the time. I hope your investigations bear fruit Richard".
Ron, thanks for showing your support. I`m still working on this and will report back when I have further news.

B

Birds Nest

I still think its because the AM goes out earlier that AT...

S

Steve Plant

Richard & Ron. I don't know whether this will be of any use to you. I've got one of the Anglers Corner videos presented by Bernard, covering bream fishing on the Somerset drains, tenching in Kent (I think), centre pins & chub on the Hampshire Avon, and finally Bernard himself trotting a stick float down a Kennet glide in search of roach!
I'll give you the info off the box, I assume this is the production company or distributor;
Quadrant Video, 37a High Street, Carshalton, Surrey SM5 3BB Tel 01-669 1114 (strange phone number I know), Telex 269556 QUAVID.
The only other info I can pass on; the box says "produced by Bernard Venables & film maker Max Munden for BBC2 in 1968".
Whether Quadrant Video still exist & where they are based is open to question but hope this helps. Good Luck.
Steve.

R

Richard Drayson

Steve, Brilliant stuff. The more info I can get on this the better. I`m continuing to make further enquiries about Bernard`s films and will post any further news ASAP.
Once again, many thanks.