Why?

P

Phil Hackett 2

Looking through the product reviews there is one advertising weights that you can add to PVA bags. This got me thinking about PVA bags and bait dispensing systems particularly for Carp fishing. Now I know that you can get some very big bags that will take perhaps a 100 14 mm pellets. But many of the carp guys I see, use the small bags taking 10 or so pellets. Or they string them with 4-6 15mm boillies.

This lead me to ask myself the question, “Why do the serious carp anglers have an aversion to using swim feeders, as they fulfil the same function as PVA small bags and stringers.

Now, some may say in response, the bag/stringer puts bait directly around the hook bait.
But a decent sized feeder can do the same with the same quantity of bait when fish skilfully. Let me explain what I mean – Take a large block end or round end feeder, with say 2 oz of strip lead attached, should be enough weight there for self hooking, remove the cap at backend. Place the boillies inside, cork up with a small quantity of stiff groundbait, cast out and allow the water to soften the groundbait, should take about 1-2 min. Pull the line until you feel the resistance on the feeder and pull back the distance of your hook length. The boillies will be dispensed in a small group, as with PVA bags/stringer, around your hook bait. For a slightly wider distribution just vary the distance of the pull on the feeder.
Nothing difficult or complicated at all in this process that I can see!

So why the aversion to the use of feeders then?

F

Frothey

i use feeders with maggots and bungs of foam soaked in csl or whatever. i use method feeders, never really thought of using swimfeeders for just a few pellets.
i like throwing money away. thats it!
the only problem with pulling back is your sowing that tiny seed of doubt in your mind that your fouling the hookpoint - no chance of that with a properly prepared bag - when using it over weed. over gravel, a feeder MIGHT be more visible than the lead?

oh yeah. cant buy feeders with pictures of carp on!

L

Les Clark

I use stringers for boillies and pva net for pellets,both attached to the hook,keep`s the hooklenght from tangle`s,plus freebee`s around the hookbait and as Dave has said no need to pull back.

F

Frothey

how many tench anglers use 5oz leads jason?

just closed minds....

i cant think of any advantages of a feeder over pva (or a method feeder) other than the cost - but then i'd rather spend 5p to make sure the presentations spot on..

L

Les Clark

also I can make these up in advance in a large number,to save time when needed,i.e.
in the middle of the night.

J

jason fisher

but if you were using boilie wrapped in paste would you need the pva or could you just cover the hook in paste to stop it fouling, safe in the knowledge it's going to melt? and it'll be buried in a nice little pile of food.

J

jason fisher

and that first one wasn't a dig at anyone in particular, but at some peoples tendency to buy some thing that's expensive because it's got a picture of a carp on it.
when a bit of thought can do the job for lots less money just no pictures of carp.
i do use 5 oz in winter when i'm chubbing too you need it to hold bottom at times.

F

Frothey

"but if you were using boilie wrapped in paste would you need the pva or could you just cover the hook in paste to stop it fouling, safe in the knowledge it's going to melt? and it'll be buried in a nice little pile of food."

a bit old hat mate ;).... though not many use it!
what if you want some pellets/free boilies around the hook as well?
what if a fish comes along before the paste has dissolved...you might miss the take as the hookpoint is obscured.
oh yeah, use a soft, fast dissolving paste.
but what happens if you have to cast really hard, then the paste will fall off...
and what if......

how about a 5oz lead with a 2inch hooklength for those spooky horseshoe tench.......

J

jason fisher

why would you want to use 5oz for a tench, is horseshoe so big that you need 5 oz to cast the distance what's the 5oz for, what purpose does it serve, and what's it going to do to a tench's mouth if you actually hook one on it. They would be my first questions.

J

jason fisher

he's not going to wind me up i'm going to get to the bottom of this.
the one thing is everyone is saying the tench are very spooky on the korda video thread, i havent seen the video, but know that's on horseshoe and they were carping so they would have been using the heavy tackle for carp fishing and i've just got the point of what frotheys getting at now.

ha ha, he's not on a wind up at all he's got a point, no one is going to use full scale carping rigs to target still water tench are they.

F

Frothey

is size of lead purely dictated by distance cast? fish can get hooked, move leads and get shot of the hook without any indication at the rod end. might have more trouble with a heavy lead/short hooklength. or use smaller hooks (easier for the lead to pull home). would i use a 5oz for tench? if i felt it necessary, after all "what's it going to do to a tench's mouth if you actually hook one...." - no more than it would do to a chub.....

F

Frothey

why not use carp tackle to target tench? we catch no end of the buggers! i once fished horseshoe and went thru a 2 hour spell when i couldnt keep two rods in the water cos of the tench - just as well some of them ARE spooky!

J

jason fisher

3 days on whelford pools in july a couple of years ago carping, not one carp on bolt rigs but on the last night i had 8 tench all of em above 8lb, all my carp came to freelined baits in the margins in the middle of the afternoon.

F

Frothey

"no one is going to use full scale carping rigs to target still water tench are they."

hmmmmmmm!

L

Les Clark

Dave, jason,fair play,i think im getting the drift now,on paper yes,but in practise no,I still wouldn`t use 5oz lead`s and 2inch hooklenght,not for tench,don`t care how spooky they may be,to much damage,and no I wouldn`t use it for carp,to me that would be a fish at any price.
I could see the point on a fast flowing river,with the hooklenght longer.

F

Frothey

not saying i would either les, but you got to keep your mind open.....