Political Correctness and Angling

T

The Dog

Apparently for a catch to have any merit these day the following must be true:

1. the angler must have been on a short session and definately not have slept on the bank

2. they must have moved from swim to swim during the session

3. they should ideally have been using a centrepin and a float and definately not have been using buzzers and bait runners

5. the fish must be unknown to the angler and preferably never have been caught before

6. the angler must have been unaware of the potential of the water and preferably have been fishing there as a pioneer

7. the angler should not have been using pva/the method/boillies

8. the angler should not have used the hand up the rod technique for playing the fish

9. the angler must not report their capture and preferably not tell anyone of their capture

10. if the fish was a nocturnal species they should have caught it in the day and vice versa.

11. the bait must have been cast out and definately not boated out or baitboated out.

12. the bait should have been cheap

R

Ron Troversial Clay

You have obviously been reading the rules layed down by the barbel police.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
That means I've never caught much that had any merit. Time to start again...........

J

jason fisher

andy
well done for collating all this information, i'll know what to avoid next time i want to catch a meaningful fish.
till then i'll just have to put up with all the meaningless ones and risk being arrested by the police.

J

jason fisher

and i think i'd better buy myself a slave to carry all my tackle while i'm tramping up and down the bank constantly.

W

Wolfman Woody

I like that one "9. the angler must not report their capture and preferably not tell anyone of their capture"

It's a bit like that "If a tree falls down in a forrest and there's no one to hear it, does it make a sound?"

Ergo, applying rule 9 - the fish did not exist and you have wasted yet another day by blanking. Your fishing is therefore meaningless - why bother???

Tell the world! What, where, which bait, which swim, let some other angler have a go. Selfish sods.

T

The Godfather

"Tell the world! What, where, which bait, which swim, let some other angler have a go. Selfish sods" Not a good idea in my opinion, you will ruin your fishing and that of others. A happy medium is the best option, perhaps leaning a little nearer to Rule 9 than this option.

J

jason fisher

It's a bit like that "If a tree falls down in a forrest and there's no one to hear it, does it make a sound?"

when a tree falls down there is always someone to hear it even if it is a frightened badger or a very confused squirrel trying to work out why the world is suddenly rushing upwards

D

Deecy

Tell everyone , not likely ! We have a duty of care to the fish.It is only our silly egos that get fed.Then you end with the no brains turning up.
Study to be quiet.

W

Wolfman Woody

I am serious Godfather. I tell anyone that wants to know, I share in my successes and I encourage others to do the same. What's the point of writing for a website or magazine if not to share your knowledge and experiences, unless you want a self-ego-boost?

We will never reach a stage when there is no room left in which to fish. Our club 4 years ago had 300 members and everyone said that if we go over that there'll be nowhere to left to fish. Last year we had over 600 members, the swims are being well used, but there's always somewhere to fish. And the fishing just gets better and better.

Even now the UK has only about a third of the anglers that were fishing 20 years ago and we didn't have full fisheries then. If you want seclusion and privacy, buy your water.

T

The Dog

You make an interesting point JW and one that Walker noted in Stillwater Angling. The more anglers that fish a water the more the fish get used to bait and noise and the easier they get to catch.

The problem with telling people, certainly in these parts, is that you then get joined by the masses and that means you can't fish in peace and quiet and it usually messes up the fishing.

I had a lot of crap in the summer after a couple of anglers saw that i was catching and decided fish as close as they could. They caught sweet FA but they cost me fish and spoilt my fishing for more than a week before they crawled back into their holes.

I am happy to help anyone in any way I can and if they choose to fsih next to me i always have a couple of guest cups. All i ask in return is that they reciprocate and don't f@@k up my fishing.

Sadly it seems that that is far too much to ask of many of todays anglers.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

I'm on the pier typing on my lap-top!!!

Sorry Dog, couldn't resist that one.

;o)

They, in the most, seem to be in their own little 'lets give them hell' group too. They have potentially f@@@ed up some of my fishing too!

W

Wolfman Woody

Granted Andy, some people don't appreciate what you do for them, but I do believe in treating everyone equally and giving them all the benefit of the doubt. I can usually summon up some words that deals with cretins like that and they'll either find somewhere else or toe the line.

Either way, I still say we can't be selfish!

W

Wolfman Woody

Oh and when you're fishing up at Tring again Andy, let us in to the next swim will you? I will be quiet and won't tell another soul.

I

Ian Whittaker 1

Jay , I don't mind telling people that ask. But I don't believe in shouting it so loud that it attracts every man and his dog to your turf.

T

The Godfather

Jay Dubya,
I certainly don't mind passing on knowledge, I have had enough passed on to me over the years. It is good to help others. I do think that giving the exact location of fish is, however, a pretty stupid thing to do. Finding your own fish is a big part of angling and, to me, perhaps the most exciting part. Inviting all and sundry to invade waters not only spoils your own sport but that of other regulars.