new alarms

J

jim turner

im going to be buying a set of two new alarms. I'm going to use my old two for an 'A level electronics product' back to the chase..... i have a fair bit of money to splash and i want something simple, but durable i was think between these 3..... fox microm m, fox micron mx and gardener tlb. any thoughts?

F

Frothey

tackle box are clearing the nash/steve neville stainless ones for ?50....

B

Bill Cox

Go for the Fox Micron MX,s mate they are the business,well priced ,robust and with a proven track record.Check out old threads and you will find a lot about these ,everybody likes em.

S

simon hall

Jim, I had the micron m's which weren't bad but sold em to a mate and bought a pair of the gardner TLB compacts which I personally think are better than the fox alarms. Only trouble I have had with em is every time I go fishing I always get people asking if they can buy the gardners off me.

N

Nick Austin 2

i would say the micron range.... BUT.... if, as dave points out, the tackle box are offloading steve nevilles, i'd check that route out first!!

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
Frothey,
Are the Nash/Neville steel alarms good as I don't know much about them.
They look great and seem to be good value, I might be interested but would like some more info.

F

Frothey

terry hearn uses them - you're guaranteed a 50!

seriosly, they are a nearly "bombproof" no-thrills alarm, very compact, very loud. i think nashy has them made in the far east (neville nevilles are ?100+) to keep cost down. best bet is phone the tackle box, or look on nashy's site.

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
Frothey,
Orderd the last 2 Nash/Neville alarms that Tackle box had left on Friday evening.
Cheers for the info mate.

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
By the way Dave, I'll be happy with my first 20 as I only play around with this carpin lark when the rivers are closed.

C

Carp Angler

The original Neville alarms were built for snide rods, they were designed to be used under water, so bombproof is a pretty good description.
Not sure how the Taiwanese equivalnet will hold up.

F

Frothey

back in the old "2 rod" days, some unscrupulous anglers would hide extra rods rod bags, in bushes, even under the water. there was quite an art to it! they were known as snides. obviously, i never partook <cough>

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
Boys,
Received my 2 new Nash/Neville alarms today, or I should say I received a torn jiffy bag with no alarms in.

Tackle box are crap !!

How can you justify sending 2 items worth a rrp of ?200 in a A4 size jiffy bag with no fragile or handle with care signs on it.

I can't believe they sent items that delicate and of that value in a jiffy in the first place, its a joke.

I work in distribution and know how courier firms handle packages, by the way this was sent through parcel farce.

Tackle box refunded my money after I told them what I thought, but as I pointed out, I lost out on a good deal and they had no more alarms left.

Anyone that wants to order delicate items or expensive items, beware!!
The above scenario is jut not good enough from a reputable shop that offers mail order.

Again beware!!

F

Frothey

sorry bill, i know i put you onto tackle box so it'll sound like i'm sticking up for them, but its because i've had nothing but excellent service from them. i wouldnt mark them down as "crap" and warn people to "beware" when you know it was probably a carp fishing courier to blame! i've sold delkims+fox's on ebay and sent them in jiffys and never had a problem - nevilles are way tougher than them.
your company never had a problem?

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
Dave,
I'm sorry but Surely items of that nature should be boxed, it doesn't cost any more.
I paid 7.50 for post and packaging and expect more for that.
I'm an operations team leader for a big distribution company and we wouldn't allow items of that nature or value to be sent out like that.
We have had problems with damage to items that are better packaged than the alarms were, so I know how courier firms operate, and we use most of them over various contracts.
If I am spending ?100 or more I expect better service than that, especially as I am paying for the posting.
Dave, you should beware because courier firms throw stuff about all the time and alarms in a jiffy could easily get damaged, or stolen in my case.

F

Frothey

fair enough bill, i'd expect more for ?7.50. is most unlike them though...